Re: Info on Simca Special

To: clarksmith@earthlink.net (Clark Smith)
Subject: Re: Info on Simca Special
From: Simon Favre <favres@engmail.ulinear.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 10:42:33 PST
Clark wrote:

>...  One respected authority considered Hagemann and Bourgeault (happy
>Simon?)  to be the greatest artists to create chassis.

I take that to mean they both built great looking cars, but some of them
weren't very fast. ;=)

>You have all convinced me that I would be happy with the power to weight
>ratio.  The thought of the possibility of 100 hp/ litre makes me want to
>go out to the garage and kick my Speedster.

Ahh, but it isn't the 100 hp/liter that's important, it's only carrying
10 or 12 lbs/hp!  That's bordering on motorcycle territory.

>...I spent some time in the pits at the Monterey Pre-Historics after two
>Berkeley owners had duked it out and I've never heard two racers more
>enthusiastic.  Their point was that the real race is between two cars,
>not the whole run group.

Absolutely right.  I have just as much fun dicing for last place with a
BMC, or a Stanguelini as the guys in the front running Brabham and Lotus
cars.  They just get more laps done in the same amount of time. ;=)

>After deliberating, I have chosen to let the car go to someone else.  I
>wasn't in love.

That's really important.  I could have spent twice as much to be in one
of 10 Loti on the grid, or I could have gone twice as fast in a cheaper
Formula Ford, but that's just not what appealed to me.  I passed on
getting a Bobsy Formula Ford basket case.  In spite of its quirks, I'm
tickled pink to own my car.