Re: Philosophy and Performance

To: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@forbin.com>
Subject: Re: Philosophy and Performance
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 09:11:36 -0500
At 04:27 PM 2/8/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Modifications: this is a fun debate, and I'm glad that it is being
>carried on in a gentlepersonly manner.

I agree!  And I think that discussions like these get to the core of how we
can all race together, having fun, and not feeling that someone just cubic
dollared their way into the winners circle.

>Of course, I'm going to buy a steel crank and Carillo rods next season
>OR when my engine blows up, whichever comes first. I think in the long
>run it will be less expensive.

When I was running my 1070 Cooper S motor, and wanted to build a 1275, I had
the same wish!  I was at a race in St Jovite, and there was NO RACE GAS
available.  I had driven 9 hours to get there, it was the last race of the
season, I had just done a 4 hour thrash to repair a problem that happened
warming up the car for the first practice, and I WAS GOING TO RACE!  I
bought five gallons of Super from the Esso station, put in a can of Octane
Booster, and put that mix into the Mini, and ran the weekend.  Since the
engine had 14.5:1 compression, when I stripped it, I had broken rings,
cracked pistons, cracked crank (which in fairness may have happened when the
crank damper exploded) and a new 1275 engine!

Brian Evans
Director, ISP Marketing
UUNET Canada Inc.
20 Bay Street, Suite 1910