Re: Greenwood

To: "G. Wood" <gwood13@stjames.k12.mo.us>
Subject: Re: Greenwood
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thrunet.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 20:17:12 -0600
G. Wood wrote:

snip

  I've a Meadowdale story and a Ponca
> City story, but I won't bore you.  Airports and city streets are more easily
> forgotten, but I miss the "real" race tracks.
> Gary Wood, StJames, Mo

One of my hobbies in addition to racing is collecting historical racing
film and video footage. I have Donald and Geoff Healey's home movies,
which have early Targa Florio & Mille Miglia, along with early west
coast tracks, etc. I've got early Elkhart Lake (pre-Road America) race
footage. I also have (unearthed by Team Thicko member Gary Speckman, our
resident Cheesehead)the 1965 and 1966 SCCA and MC race seasons in the
midwest as chronicled by a team that raced a Bugeye, an Alfa, a FV, and
a Corvette. Their videos are in many ways like the video I do these days
for my own race team, but obviously with the limitations (and charm) of
8mm film. They're very entertaining.It's hours and hours of tracks like
Meadowdale, Wilmot, Lyndale Farms, and other long gone venues, along
with very early Grattan, Road America, Mid-Ohio. ( I'll review the tapes
again, and post the tracks) You name it, they raced there. Much of this
footage features in-car camera which is just too cool!

At a couple of races this year, Team Thicko will sponsor a historic race
video night, maybe at Grattan and at the fall Road America event. I'll
borrow a large video projector from Panasonic or Sony and we'll show the
videos on somebody's large white race trailer with period music. If you
have any footage you'd like to show, please let me know. Any thoughts,
requests, and suggestions are appreciated.

Wm. Severin Thompson
Team Thicko