one off????

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: one off????
From: VEENET@aol.com
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 01:47:14 -0500 (EST)
Can anyone tell me where the expression " one off" came from? As in ," that
car is a one off" . Meaning it is the only one ever made..It seems to me it
should be one of  not off.  What is it off of?  One off what?.."One of" seems
like a shortening of " one of a kind" , but one off?  Someone suggested that
is a British expression ???.....I don't know why but for some reason it
drives me nuts when I hear or read "one off". It is the same thing when
someone says that a car has had a "frame off" restoration....I think that is
a mixture of "body off" and "frame up" and it ends up "frame off" which makes
no sense ...but at least I can see where it comes from, but I have no idea
where we got "one off" .....Am I the only one who notices these things? Am I
turning into Andy Ronney?.....Jerry Burr