Re: intro: me & my Italia

To: Mike Engard <mikee@home.bellatlantic.net>
Subject: Re: intro: me & my Italia
From: Grand_Wazoo <Grand_Wazoo@mail.flinet.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 18:34:05 -0800
Mike - I'm trying to reply to you but the mail keeps bouncing with a
message about your address being incorrect.  If this address is not
correct, please send the correct one.  I'm just bursting at the seams
with stuff to send you.

mikee@home.bellatlantic.net

Here's the note I've tried to send twice:

stand back Mike - you are going to be buried in help from tons of folks
- I'm one of them.

First - welcome.  you need to also join the Friends of Triumph mailing
list which is also run out of team.net.  There are LOTS of us vintage
racing Triumphs.  Mine is a TR3, been doing it for almost 10 years.
Heck, we had to restore it a second time, after it's 100th race weekend!
I don't have time right now to give you my opinion on all of your
questions - and you are going to get TONS of opinions from this crowd.

here's a few:

1) want a pro built race motor that works and wins? - mine are built by
Glen Efinger here in Florida.  He's not an e-mail sort of guy but a
bonafide TR guru.  561-283-7700.  Call him, he'll talk to you.  He's a
one man shop.  When he hears you are going to race an Italia, he'll
flip!  This guy could be your best race mechanical friend if you treat
him right.

I cant over emphasize Glen's impact, he knows the answers to nearly all
the questions that show up in this list.  If he had a computer he'd be
constantly busy answering questions that were solved 20 years ago.  Ask
anyone racing vintage TRs east of the Missippi about Glen's motors in my
car and Jeff Snook's TR3 - bulletproof and like lightening.

2) it'll be spectacular to have an Italia out there.  Think I've only
seen one before and it was a show trailer queen.

3) vscca is wierd - they might take your Italia, they might not.  It's
unique enough, they might see it your way.  Their yearly race at Lime
Rock on Labor Day weekend is open to anything that would be legal in any
other major race groups.

4) the other 2 major vintage organizations on the East half of the US
are  SVRA and HSR - you are going to get lots of help on which is
better/worse.  SVRA races at Watkins, Pocono and Summit once a year.
HSR is mostly in the south - Atlanta, Savannah, Daytona, Sebring.  VSCDA
is strong in the northern mid-west and might be close enough for you to
get to.  Bottom line will be that if your car meets SVRA tech
requirements, it'll meet anyones.

5) You should subscribe to Victory Lane magazine - it's the journal of
best coverage on vintage racing nation wide and lists virtually all
events and all organizations, big and small.

6) you'll have to go to drivers school unless you have a racing license
from a recognized organization.  You can do that when your car is ready
or if you can afford it, go to a commercial school that supplies cars.

I'll work on some of your other questions when time permits.

An Italia - cool......

ps, can your browser/mail provider handle pictures?  I'll send a couple
if so.

mike jackson
The Grand Wazoo