RE: Vintage Racing Dilemma

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Vintage Racing Dilemma
From: jeh@world.std.com (jim hayes)
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 14:08:45 -0400
> Where do you draw the line?  A Formula V isn't a sports car - for that mat
> none of the formula/sports racers are even real cars - they were never use
> transportation.  What about the Alfa Sedans, Lotus Cortinas, BMW 2002s and
> like - they've got back seats?  Also, most of the so-called vintage race c
> don't even have a history - they're just old street cars restored to vinta
> race specs.  Heck, my SCCA IT race car has more race history than most car
> participating in vintage racing.

Seems to me we're mostly sports car types. That means cars that ARCA, IMSA
and the SCCA had running on road courses up to about 1972. Historic stock
car racing should be limited to the same era. Personally, I'd love to see a
field of mid 60s stock cars on a road course, preferably with Gurney, AJ,
PJ, and some of the drivers of the era in there having fun too. But do I
want to be on the course wiht them in my Alfas,  don't think so...

Last year, a few of us were working a deal to put together a Alfa TI Super
for vintage racing (they were very popular in BS), but there's virtually
nowhere to run it!

If you're in New England, your pre 60 TR3 is not too useful either, although
they were the first cars I remember seeing the owners drive to the track,
unload and go racing!

Jim Hayes   Boston, MA USA
www: http://www.fotec.com/jim.htm

veni, vedi, veloce