Re: CSRG Thunderhill Fall Finale Thanks

To: MHKitchen@aol.com
Subject: Re: CSRG Thunderhill Fall Finale Thanks
From: Simon Favre <favres@engmail.ulinear.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 10:31:41 PDT
The CSRG Enduro is a truly unique event in Motorsports.  It would be a
shame to see it dry up.  Sorry I missed the event, but It's difficult
for me to do consecutive weekends.  I had a great time at Laguna.
(Thanks Glenn!)

If you want my input, I'd say the best thing CSRG could do to improve
Enduro participation is move it back to Sears Point.  I talked to Marnix
Dillenius at the Historics, and again when he stopped by at Laguna, and
it was pretty clear he was really bummed out about missing the Enduro.
He has run that Enduro since its inception.  His reason for dropping it?
Thunderhill.  Conditions at Thunderhill are SO primitive, that people
with nice looking cars don't want to show up.  You said there was a
little wind on Sunday?  Wind at that place is like sticking your car in
a sand blasting booth.  Last year I ran the fall event (minus Enduro),
and I was walking around in goggles and a dust mask to keep from getting
3 pounds of dirt up my nose.  I spent weeks buffing my car back out to a
decent shine and cleaning the dirt out after subjecting it to that
place.  Marnix also commented that he can really feel the wind in his
car.  He said it got pretty scary barreling down the front straight in a
cross wind.

If CSRG can exert any influence on Thunderhill management, we should
pressure them to pave out the enture paddock area, and maybe add some
windbreak trees.  Never mind adding track, fix the paddock.  It was
pretty clear to me standing there that when the wind rolls in over the
hills, it isn't carrying much, but when it hits the unpaved area of the
paddock, the dirt just boils up into the air.  Does the term "dust bowl"
ring any bells, Spunky?  ;=(

P.S.  I also think that running Thunderhill in the reverse direction
would be REALLY dangerous.  All the berms would be in the wrong place.
Turn 1 would become a partially blind right hander with the pit wall on
the outside.  Turn 5 would have a really steep, off-camber entry.  You
would probably have lots of cars going off at the end of the front
straight.  Call me pessimistic, but I don't like the idea.  I would not
sign up for such an event.