Re: Zora Arkus Duntov

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Zora Arkus Duntov
From: Jeff Benedict <raoul@olympus.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 12:55:35 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 24 Apr 1996, Dunst, Mordecai wrote:

>      The Master of Carburation has passed away on Sunday the 21st of April.

Alas, 'tis true....

Waiting for others to give more detailed accounts on his exploits, my
favorite was his creation of the Ardun engine.

For those who don't know, the Ardun engine was a conversion kit for the
Ford flathead of various vintages.  It was a set of hemispherical
combustion chambered heads which bolted on in place of the flatheads.

I believe that minimal machining was necessary- a set of pushrods
substituted for the valves in the engine and the exhaust ports were
blanked over.

It is my understanding from my reading in from reading an article in "Rod
and Custom" many years age that the major disadvantage of the Ardun head
was that it caused too much horsepower to be produced for the three
bearing bottom end of the flathead to handle.

To me, the Ardun would have been a bitchin' engine to have in an Allard
and I would still like one with a marine conversion in a vintage wood
runabout.

Jeff