26R v. Elan

To: <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: 26R v. Elan
From: <cyeatman@amerhonda.com> (Clay Yeatman)
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 96 11:22:07 EDT
Well, since no one has jumped in to describe the differences between a
regular Elan and a 26R, I'll start with my limited knowledge.

1) The 26R has steel U-joints and ball-bearinged sliding splines in the
rear axles rather than Rototflex joints.

2) The 26R body fiberglass is thinner.  So thin in places that you will
break through if you lean on it.

3) I believe they were roadsters with the FIA top.  This is a lightweight
fiberglass removeable hardtop with a plastic rear window that keeps coming
out of its rubber seal.

4) Incidently the S1 26R's did not have the fender flares of the later
models.

I'm sure others can add to this list.

Harold Smith had an SCCA C Production 26R that he would use to draft behind
Corvettes up to 120 mph at which time he would whip out and pass them on
his way to the 138 mph top end.  Unfortunately it was totaled at Virginia
International Raceway about 1973, which allowed him to learn firsthand
about whiplash.
Original text
>From dlaver@morgan.com (David Laver), on 4/11/96 9:10 AM:
What's a 26R and how does it differ from an Elan ?

David Laver