Re: Racing Elans

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Racing Elans
From: simon@LSIL.COM (Simon Favre)
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 96 10:00:24 PDT
A slightly deranged Brian Evans scribbled:

> > To make a race car  from a street type car, add lightness and simplify.
>
> 20 year old Italian cars - all of the advanced features have long since been
> removed, all that iron oxide has been flushed from the ballast tanks (sills,
> inner wings, boot floor, front valance - was it there to make a homoligation
> weight ?), the engine is at race tollerances (piston slap when cold,  pint of
> oil each week).   We'll ignore the silted rad and corroded head...

I resemble that remark! ;=) I'll have you know that 20 year old Italian
cars come with the finest Factory Rust (tm) ever produced. This process
was of course, licensed from the British. The British cross licensed
the Italian invention, Cars That Leak Oil (tm). This mutual cross
licensing has been most successful. Today, the finest of collectible
cars can be had from either source. Of course, the definition of a
collectible car is one that has to stop every few miles to COLLECT all
the parts falling off of it. Now back to our regularly scheduled
drivel.