Replicas?-one perspective

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Replicas?-one perspective
From: hlputnam@students.wisc.edu (Bill and Heather Putnam)
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 1995 20:20:01 -0500
>        What's the attitude on those replicas like the C type Jags, Ferrari
>        GTO SWBs and a certain Aston Martin DB4 Zagato that are constructions
>        based on actual cars and using factory components? The only difference
>        between the copy and the original is it's location of manufacture.

The replicas that I have some familiarity with, Pre-War MG's, very often
have taken a similar car (e.g. a J-2 or J-1 2 or 4 seat sports car)
and created what is claimed to be a J-4 (a car built for racing).  I see
a couple of issues here.

One, the donor car, be it in good condition or rough, is no longer an
example of a car that was made by the craftsman at Abingdon.  As the years
go by, we will have fewer and fewer 4 seat J-types around.  Granted they
may not be as exciting to drive, however they are a part of MG history and
as the years go by an accurate picture of what MG was will become more and
more difficult.  This is a loss that can never be replaced.  Just recently
a British spares supplier broke up a rough MG PA.  That this is still
happening today is terribly sad and speaks poorly of this generation.

Two, the lay person will get the impression that most Pre War MG's
must have been supercharged, overbored, and quite fast.  With modern
materials and enough money, anyone can make these cars go much faster
and break far less often than when they were new.  Although I support
making an old car a bit safer by using a better metal for the spindles
etc., and breaking original J-2 crankshafts regularly is going a bit
far on "originality", making an effort to maintain the cars as close
to original as possible is important for the integrity of the cars
and the marque to remain.

Three, when original cars are raced, there is a risk that they will be
damaged.  Practically anything can be rebuilt, however it will never
be quite the same nor will it have been put together by the people at
the factory. There is a danger on the other hand of these cars not
getting out on the track-they become museum pieces, curiosities, not
the nearly living, breathing animation that they are when running.
The group that I race in locally do push their cars, however the racing
is "polite".  If you want to dive-bomb someone into a corner, you are
not welcome in the group.  If you want to take the cars at speed around
the track, put on a good show, and have a good time while at it, you are
encouraged.  In the 20 odd years that this group has been racing MG TC's,
J-2's, N-types and so on, the only incident occured off the track, on
the street on a tour of the countryside-racing on the track can actually
be less hazardous than daily driving on the street.  So on the balance,
it is my position that the best thing is for the cars to be used and
raced sensibly.  If someone wants to go all out no holds barred and race
in a vintage style car, perhaps this is one area where a replica created
completely from scratch is appropriate.  It should not be on the track with
true examples of the marque, however.

>        It seems to me, ... If it looks like a cat, acts like
>        a cat sounds like a cat

I think Simon Favre answered this quite well.

>        ... they want to see it all... Triumphs, MGs, Ferraris,
>        Astons, Bugattits, Bentleys,... I'm getting kinda tired of seeing so
>many
>        Porsches.

Come to the VSCDA fall race this year, Sept 22-24.  You will see many, if not
all of these cars (for sure Triumphs, MGs, Astons, and at least one old
Bug)

Bill Putnam
1939 MG TB
hlputnam@students.wisc.edu      ---------  _ `\<,`\<,_
555 Toepfer Ave                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Madison, WI   53711             ----------  ZZOOOOOMM!!