Re: "No more 'ring around the piston' "?

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: "No more 'ring around the piston' "?
From: Silikal@aol.com
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 1995 09:59:47 -0400
Roger Garnett writes:
>I can't beleive how many people run race engines with *NO* air filters.
>This is one area that the "vintage way" is the wrong way. The wear in the
>cylinders due to any dust sucked in very quickly results in enough power
>loss more than surpass any power gained by not sucking through an air
>filter. Not to mention what happens if you suck in something bigger, or
>get a big load of dust or sand kicked up by another car!

Then again, if you only remove it when you're autocrossing, you aren't
as likely to do as much damage per year.  And a 3hp gain on a 48hp
engine is a 6.25% increase.  Yes, I have proof.  My dad had his Sprite
dyno'ed both ways when he was running in the sixties.  The guys running
the dyno shop couldn't believe the difference.  With things like K&N filters
available now, I'm not sure the difference today would be that dramatic.

Dave Williamson (silikal@aol.com)  Spits in bits