Re: getting started

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: getting started
From: Silikal@aol.com
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 1995 09:52:13 -0400
With the comment on lack of postings, I might as well throw this out for
discussion:  I'm (slowly) rebuilding two Spitfires.  One will be for the
street
and have a GT6+ drivetrain.  I've been toying with the idea of making the
other into a (gasp) racecar.  Mostly because it's easier than restoring the
body into show quality. ;-)

It is a '68/9, having a 1296cc engine.  I believe it would fall into SCCA EP
class, are the vintage classes the same?  Can it be set up to run both
SCCA Prod. class and an appropriate vintage class, or would the two be
mutually exclusive (wishing to be mildly competitive in each)?

Being in the middle of a ground-up restoration, I have an idea on most
parts prices, but what does an race engine rebuild go for?  Are there any
other parts I need to treat differently for racing (stronger gearbox or
diff.)?
I know about all the safety equipment, and have an idea on the basic
suspension needs (springs, shocks, bushings, lower the dickens out of it).

Thanks in advance,
Dave Williamson (silikal@aol.com)  Spits in bits