tvr

Shock

To: tvr@autox.team.net
Subject: Shock
From: breedon@ucdhep.ucdavis.edu
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 01:34:30 -0800
Greetings,

I am half-way through replacing the rear shocks on my 2500M with gas adjustable
Spax.  It is taking some time since I am also  refurburshing the brakes, and
cleaning, painting, and re-undercoating the wheelwells, etc. Anyway, to get the
old shock out of the spring and put in the new one, I bought an external spring
compressor from Eastwood. The spring is small so it was a tight fit, leaving
three indentations on the new shock from the compressor but no visible
puncture. However, the next day, with the spring still on my workbench, I
noticed a glob of light brown goop smeared around the base of the spring that
had not been there before (I had cleaned, sanded, primed and painted the spring
before I put in the new shock). I cleaned it off, and now after several days no
more goop has appeared.

I am worried that I cracked and possibly ruined one of my new
Spax shocks. Does anyone have an opinion on this likelihood?

Before I do the shock on the other side, I will grind off some of the metal
on the hooks on the spring compressor so they are less likely to come in
contact with the shock.

Thanks for any advice,

Richard
Davis, CA