tvr

Valve Timing

To: tvr@autox.team.net
Subject: Valve Timing
From: Bob Rothstein <rgrothstein@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 18:55:50 -0700 (PDT)
     Well, folks, I picked up a new winter project today and I
could use some help in planning it.  My 1971 2500 just would not
respond to timing, and I finally traced it to the valve timing,
which is about 30 degrees (!!) behind where it should be (up
till now it's been timed by turning the distributor to where the
engine sounds the best).
     I guess I'll be replacing the timing chain and sprockets
(instead of the front suspension rebuild I had been planning).
Can this timing job be done with the engine in place?  If it
can, does it make any sense to do the job out of the car anyway,
like for access or saving yourself from lower back pain?  Is
there anything else I should be on the lookout for while
tackling this project?
     Thanks.
     Bob Rothstein
     rgrothstein@yahoo.com