tvr

Re: Tuning 2500

To: "Hill, Stephen M EDUC:EX" <Stephen.Hill@gems7.gov.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: Tuning 2500
From: Bill Sanford <tvrdude@netzero.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 19:37:04 -0700
Stephen,
 Actually there was little to no frame strengthening, the early cars
like
my Griff "017" were "pounded" down on the chassis near the starter so it
would fit. The frame was a little stressed, but was more a victim of
rust than the V8. The early cars tended to ruin halfshafts/u-joints but
the BMC diff usually died from severe usage. But 0-60 times of 4 secs
or less were possible with a HiPo 289, BMC's 3.91 rear and a curb wt.
of under 1950 lbs.!
 Talking to Gerry Sagerman he noted they were always banned due to the
limited production, not a safety issue. The one quote that always annoys
Griff owners comes from David E. Davis (Automobile Mag.)and he says how
"dangerous they are and pivot around on their front wheels" (due to the
V8 sitting up there). That partial quote points out that he must have
never opened the hood on a Griff, lest he note that the front pulley
sits at least 4" BEHIND the "front axle".!
 Anyway, I'm happy with my later Tuscan that got a little more refined,
but picked up a couple hundred pounds wt.
 Bill
79 TVR 3000s
68 TVR Tuscan SE
64 TVR Griffith 200

"Hill, Stephen M EDUC:EX" wrote:

> The following email reminded me of a question I intended to ask a while ago.
> When the Ford V8 was installed in the Griffith, did they reinforce the frame
> in anyway?? The reason I ask is I was talking to someone who told me the
> cars were so dangerous they were banned from some kinds of racing in the US.
> Was this because the frames broke??
>
> Stephen
> TVR 2500
> >
> > Skip Gurnee wrote:
> >

> > > Hmm-forward holes for the steering rack?  In mine, it caused the
> > > steering arms to be angled much too far to the rear, maybe 20 degrees!
> > > Bump steer was minimized by moving the rack vertically, not
> > > horizontally.
> >
> >   This is correct: bump steer is cured by moving the rack vertically.
> >
> > Could there be differences in frames???
> >
> > I doubt it at least the chassis are the same for various Vixens where
> > the
> > rack mounts but there are some other wierd differences occasionaly.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > JU
> >
> > > Best,
> > > Skip

> > The
> > and
> > you
> > engine,
> > considering.
> > came as
> > stays

> > engined
> > webers on
> > the way.
> > expensive it
> > I will be
> > aluminum V8
> > I dump
> > will be
> > worth more

> > --
> > Dr John Upham, The UKMotorSport Index,
> > http://www.ukmotorsport.com/, webmaster@ukmotorsport.com,
> > Voice: +44 (0) 976 634 053 (W), Voice: +44 (0) 125 287 2551 (H),
> > Voice: +44 (0) 976 634 053 (M)

Request a CDROM  1-800-333-3633