tvr

Re: Hillclimbing Vixen/Front Uprights

To: Rikrock@aol.com
Subject: Re: Hillclimbing Vixen/Front Uprights
From: Dr John Upham <webmaster@ukmotorsport.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 01:56:25 +0100
Rikrock@aol.com wrote:

> Dateline Reading PA.
>
> A short but very loud profanity was heard coming from car #114 following a
> mishap at turn 7 during todays running of The Pagoda Hillclimb. On his second
> run of the morning, Rich Rock, driving a silver 1970 TVR Vixen, approached
> turn seven at what can only be described as "a little too fast".
>
> The tail end of the car swung out dramatically as Rich turned in to the
> corner.  According to the corner workers, for a split second it looked like
> he just might make it, but when the tires on Rich's car regained their grip,
> the car abruptly changed direction and headed straight for the outside of the
> corner, coming to rest with the nose of the car in the sloped dirt
> embankment.  The bonnet, torn from three of its attachment points, opened
> straight up on impact.
>
> Corner workers jumped to action.  After quickly determining that Rich had
> sustained no injury, evident by his animated gestures and colorful language,
> they pushed the car back on to the road for a closer inspection.
>
> Finding nothing on the car severely damaged, the bonnet was loosely attached,
> and  Rich slowly drove the car away, to the applause of spectators.
>
> Asked later about his initial utterrance, Rich replied, "I'm sorry, I
> misspoke.  What I meant to say was 'OOPS' ".  Rich continued, "It was an
> experiment, you see.  I was trying to  find the fastest way through the turn.
>  It didn't work out this time, but I'll be back".
>
> Rich didn't make another run after the incident, finding prohibitive damage
> to the suspension, but his earlier times were good enough to earn him a first
> place trophy in his class, besting a TR4 and an Opel GT.
>
> Well, that's how it went.  The bonnet will need some work, but it's not  too
> bad, nowhere near as bad as it looked from the drivers seat, or anywhere
> else, according to witnesses.
>
> The big problem is damage to a front upright.  It's bent pretty good where
> the threaded portion meets the rest of the piece.  I need another one, one
> with the left-hand threads.  Where can I get one?  Will one from a Spitfire
> work?  What are my options?

  The Vixen front uprights are sourced from the drum-braked Triumph
Herald
  12/50s. See
http://www.ukmotorsport.com/vixen/parts/front_suspension.html

  Remember that they should be swapped sides. Your RH side unit is the
LH side
  unit from the Herald.

  Next thing is to debate the type of lubrication. This depends on
  the size of the thread.

  Regards,

  JU

--