tvr

RE: gas tanks

To: "'tvr@autox.team.net'" <tvr@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: gas tanks
From: "Hill, Stephen M EDUC:EX" <Stephen.Hill@gems7.gov.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 10:04:03 -0800
Hi Will. It has been a while since I have had a good look at the fuel tank
in my 2500, but from what you describe (a leak between the copper pipe and
the tank) I doubt if the source of the leak is a weld.  You can't weld
copper to steel. It would most likely be a soldered joint. Pick at it with a
sharp point, and you should be able to tell if it is soft solder. It could
be hard soldered (silver solder) or brazed (bronze fill rod) but you should
be able to tell which it is.

If it is soft soldered, I would just fix it. Obviously you would not want to
use a torch.  You could use a copper soldering iron, either a large electric
version, or one of the old solid copper irons which are heated up with a
torch (at some distance from the tank). I kind of like the second type,
cause you can pour the heat into them and consequently solder larger sheet
metal objects like gas tanks. Besides, they are fairly easy to pick up cheap
at junky stores.

Having said that, I guess I should add that I know squat about fuel cells
and there may be lots of good reasons for buying one, even if you had a tank
with no leaks.

Stephen
1972 TVR