tvr

RE: OD tranny

To: "'William Zehring'" <zehrinwa@umdnj.edu>
Subject: RE: OD tranny
From: "Hill, Stephen M AETT:EX" <Stephen.Hill@gems7.gov.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 16:40:04 -0700
At some point in the past I could have given you a more authoritative
response. But what the hell - here goes.  Years ago I took an overdrive from
a Triumph Vitesse and attached it to the back of my TR6 tranny. It involved
changing a large shaft (input, output??, I forget). It also required a
change in some bearings, which I turned out of bronze. I recall there were 2
overdrives which could have been attached: an earlier and a later, the later
being more comparct. I used the earlier overdrive. I know there are other
overdrives which look similar on MG's and on Spitfires which will not fit.
Fitting the overdrive and tranny assembly betweeen the space frame tubes was
quite a challenge. lt may have been easier with the engine removed. On TR6's
typically the rear end ratio is lower on cars with the overdrive. My car had
the higher rear end. Initially I was concerned about that but the car is so
light and the engine so torquey it was not an issue. It does make the car
nicer on the highway, and I am aware of folks who slalom who like the
electric shift as it is faster and less prone to miss-shift. As to rarity,
there are quite a lot of overdrives on transmissions around, but they seem
to demand a good price. It is hard to say what a fair price is for an
overdrive not attached to a tranny. It will cost you a fair buck to pay
somebody to put it together, and for parts (the shaft). Personally I
wouldn't pay much for one, given these costs. Bye the way, apparently the
correct overdrive also came on some models of Volvo as well. Stephen