tvr

Re: vixen front suspension bits

To: zehrinwa@umdnj.edu, Robert.blumberg@worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: vixen front suspension bits
From: Malaboge <Malaboge@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 00:29:49 EST
In a message dated 98-03-10 09:51:50 EST, zehrinwa@umdnj.edu writes:

<<
 At 12:54 PM 3/9/98 -0800, you wrote:
 >>>From what car were the following bits sourced:
 >>--tie rod ends
 >>--sway bar link assy.
 >>--ball joints
 >>
 >>Also: are the front bushings TVR specific?
 >

 >Check out Marcus's web site http://ulysses.unl/.edu/tooz/tvr for
 >substitutions.  According to him the sway bar links are TVR but he suggests
 >a modification to them, bushings are TR6, but he suggests a poly
 >substitute.  Ball joints are TR6 as well, and he has no data, last I
 >looked, on the tie rod ends.

 thanks; I just did that and see what you mean.  Is the M series front
 suspension the same as my 2500??

Will (again)-

Careful the 2500m has a totally different front end under it. The M cars are
TR6 stuff, but the 2500's are Spitfire derived. Most of the cars I have seen
have Spitfire tie rod ends on them, but a few (mostly MKIII's or 1800's) have
an additional lengthening piece between the tie rod end and the rack. The rod
ends still appear to be Spit, but the rack is different (narrower), so you
have to be careful because if they are left out, the rod end will "just" be
long enough to align the front end, but extremely dangerous as only a few
threads will be engaged.
Sway bar links are another weird setup. Most of the ones I have seen look just
like the TR units, except that the angle at one end is wrong. You can have one
end cut off and rewelded, but a coupla heim joints will do nicely too. On one
of my cars (an earlier car), the Tr units fit perfectly, so it could be
another case of "What have we got in the bin Reg..."
The ball joints on the M car are again TR4>6, but not on the 2500. Somewhere
out in the shop, I have a box of new ones that give applications, but I THINK
that they are Austin or Morris tie rod ends. I can check for you if no one has
the definitive answer, but I'm not at home and those ole brain cells are
showin their age...
BTW, the uprights look just like the Spit units, but are not. The stub axle
hole is bigger to allow the use of the "big" TR stub axle. If you need one of
these. look around for a set for a Lotus Europa, different side to side of
course.

The Car Curmudgeon
   Nick in Nor Cal