triumphs
[Top] [All Lists]

Re: [TR] TR 3 gas cap

To: "Tony Drews" <tony@tonydrews.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] TR 3 gas cap
From: "Allan Stults" <acstults@hushmail.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2026 15:12:40 -0700
Authentication-results: autox.team.net;
Delivered-to: mharc@autox.team.net
Delivered-to: triumphs@autox.team.net
References: <ffdaeca75df27db5ea175cce23326739d04acc225b83c389@smtp.hushmail.com> <dfa4eb37-d5ee-4f99-a1f9-3bac24f8ddd2@tonydrews.com>
--===============0696248252921991399==
        boundary="=_0bd4ebbb5831b74b1faeca61f089620c"

--=_0bd4ebbb5831b74b1faeca61f089620c
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Tony,
Great idea!  The hose is definitely attached and moving in sync when
twisting the cap.  I have both the upper and lower clamps fully
loosened.  I will try your suggestion right now! =20
Thanks,Allan
On 10/1/2026 at 12:05 AM, "Tony Drews"  wrote:                  =20

        I wonder if the interconnect hose is loose on the gas tank but     =20
still attached to the cap.  Maybe tighten the clamp on the gas     =20
tank end and then see if you can twist it?  That would hopefully     =20
break it loose from the hose.    =20

        Regards, Tony     On 9/30/2026 5:59 PM, Allan Stults       wrote:
                                 Randy,        =20
                  Thank you!  I fully loosened the hose clamps and was
able           to twist the cap.  It now rotates fairly easily, but I
can't           get any movement upwards.  Is there a special tool
that a body           shop may have to lift the cap out?        =20
                  Allan        =20
         On 9/30/2026 at 2:34 PM,           "Randy and Valerie
DeRuiter"            wrote:                                          =20
                                                                     =20
       Allan-                                   =20
                                                     As long as you
are sure you don't have the earlier                   threaded cap on
the car now my guess is your cap is                   still stuck to
the interconnect hose between the cap                   and tank.  Do
you have the hose clamps loosened                   fully?  I would
try twisting the cap until you see                   movement then try
to pull out.  There should be a                   rubber grommet
installed which should protect the                   paint.          =20
                       =20
                                                     Randy           =20
   =20
-------------------------
                 From: Triumphs                      on behalf of    =20
               Allan Stults=20
                     Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2026 1:46 PM
                     To: triumphs@autox.team.net                    =20
                     Subject: [TR] TR 3 gas cap                      =20
                                                   I've got a '62 TR
3B that I had painted over                       last winter.  The
chrome gas cap was looking                       pretty pathetic next
to the new paint.  I bought a                       new one from Moss,
but am not sure how to get the                       old one out
without messing up the new paint.  The                       new one
is not threaded.  The old one is also not                     =20
threaded.  Late TR 3As thru TR 3Bs use one                     =20
described as:   GAS CAP, w/integral                         extension.
 It slides in and out, but not                       easily.  I cannot
make my old one move.  Has                       anyone on the list
had any experience with                       replacing that cap?    =20
              =20
                                          Allan Stults               =20
    Veneta, Oregon                     '62 TR 3B                     =20
                                                         =20
        ** triumphs@autox.team.net ** Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs=20
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/tony@tonydrews.com    =20
   =20
--=_0bd4ebbb5831b74b1faeca61f089620c
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<span style=3D"font-family: Arial; font-size: 14px; line-height: 150%;"><di=
v>Tony,</div><div><br></div><div>Great idea!&nbsp; The hose is definitely a=
ttached and moving in sync when twisting the cap.&nbsp; I have both the upp=
er and lower clamps fully loosened.&nbsp; I will try your suggestion right =
now!&nbsp;&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>Thanks,</div><div>Allan</div><br>=
<div class=3D"hush-quoting-section">On 10/1/2026 at 12:05 AM, "Tony Drews" =
&lt;tony@tonydrews.com&gt; wrote:<blockquote class=3D"hush-quote" style=3D"=
border-left:solid 1px #ccc;margin-left:10px;padding-left:10px;"><div style=
=3D"display:block">
  <div style=3D"display:block">
   =20
  </div>
  <div style=3D"display:block">
    <p>I wonder if the interconnect hose is loose on the gas tank but
      still attached to the cap.&nbsp; Maybe tighten the clamp on the gas
      tank end and then see if you can twist it?&nbsp; That would hopefully
      break it loose from the hose.</p>
    <p>Regards, Tony</p>
    <div class=3D"moz-cite-prefix">On 9/30/2026 5:59 PM, Allan Stults
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote>
     =20
      <span style=3D"font-family:Arial;font-size:14px;line-height:150%;">
        <div>Randy,</div>
        <div><br>
        </div>
        <div>Thank you!&nbsp; I fully loosened the hose clamps and was able
          to twist the cap.&nbsp; It now rotates fairly easily, but I can't
          get any movement upwards.&nbsp; Is there a special tool that a bo=
dy
          shop may have to lift the cap out?</div>
        <div><br>
        </div>
        <div>Allan</div>
        <br>
        <div class=3D"hush-quoting-section">On 9/30/2026 at 2:34 PM,
          "Randy and Valerie DeRuiter" <a class=3D"moz-txt-link-rfc2396E">&=
lt;deruiterville@hotmail.com&gt;</a>
          wrote:
          <blockquote class=3D"hush-quote" style=3D"border-left:solid 1px #=
ccc;margin-left:10px;padding-left:10px;">
            <div style=3D"display:block;">
              <div style=3D"display:block;">
                <style type=3D"text/css"></style>
              </div>
              <div dir=3D"ltr" style=3D"display:block;">
                <div class=3D"elementToProof" style=3D"font-family:Calibri,=
 Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color:#000;">
                  Allan-</div>
                <div class=3D"elementToProof" style=3D"font-family:Calibri,=
 Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color:#000;">
                  <br>
                </div>
                <div class=3D"elementToProof" style=3D"font-family:Calibri,=
 Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color:#000;">
                  As long as you are sure you don't have the earlier
                  threaded cap on the car now my guess is your cap is
                  still stuck to the interconnect hose between the cap
                  and tank.&nbsp; Do you have the hose clamps loosened
                  fully?&nbsp; I would try twisting the cap until you see
                  movement then try to pull out.&nbsp; There should be a
                  rubber grommet installed which should protect the
                  paint.</div>
                <div class=3D"elementToProof" style=3D"font-family:Calibri,=
 Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color:#000;">
                  <br>
                </div>
                <div class=3D"elementToProof" style=3D"font-family:Calibri,=
 Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color:#000;">
                  Randy</div>
                <hr style=3D"display:inline-block;width:98%;">
                <div id=3D"divRplyFwdMsg" dir=3D"ltr"><font face=3D"Calibri=
, sans-serif" style=3D"font-size:11pt;" color=3D"#000000"><b>From:</b> Triu=
mphs
                    <a class=3D"moz-txt-link-rfc2396E">&lt;triumphs-bounces=
@autox.team.net&gt;</a> on behalf of
                    Allan Stults <a class=3D"moz-txt-link-rfc2396E">&lt;acs=
tults@hushmail.com&gt;</a><br>
                    <b>Sent:</b> Wednesday, September 30, 2026 1:46 PM<br>
                    <b>To:</b> <a class=3D"moz-txt-link-abbreviated">triump=
hs@autox.team.net</a>
                    <a class=3D"moz-txt-link-rfc2396E">&lt;triumphs@autox.t=
eam.net&gt;</a><br>
                    <b>Subject:</b> [TR] TR 3 gas cap</font>
                  <div>&nbsp;</div>
                </div>
                <div><span style=3D"font-family:Arial;font-size:14px;line-h=
eight:150%;">
                    <div>I've got a '62 TR 3B that I had painted over
                      last winter.&nbsp; The chrome gas cap was looking
                      pretty pathetic next to the new paint.&nbsp; I bought=
 a
                      new one from Moss, but am not sure how to get the
                      old one out without messing up the new paint.&nbsp; T=
he
                      new one is not threaded.&nbsp; The old one is also no=
t
                      threaded.&nbsp; Late TR 3As thru TR 3Bs use one
                      described as:&nbsp;&nbsp;<a rel=3D"noreferrer" target=
=3D"_blank" href=3D"https://mossmotors.com/834-840-gas-cap-w-integral-exten=
sion"> GAS CAP, w/integral
                        extension</a>.&nbsp; It slides in and out, but not
                      easily.&nbsp; I cannot make my old one move.&nbsp; Ha=
s
                      anyone on the list had any experience with
                      replacing that cap?</div>
                    <div><br>
                    </div>
                    <div>Allan Stults</div>
                    <div>Veneta, Oregon</div>
                    <div>'62 TR 3B</div>
                  </span></div>
              </div>
            </div>
          </blockquote>
        </div>
      </span>
      <br>
      <fieldset class=3D"moz-mime-attachment-header"></fieldset>
      <pre class=3D"moz-quote-pre">** <a class=3D"moz-txt-link-abbreviated"=
>triumphs@autox.team.net</a> **

ank" href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html";>http://www.team.net/donate.ht=
ml</a>
Archive: <a class=3D"moz-txt-link-freetext" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_b=
lank" href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs";>http://www.team.net/p=
ipermail/triumphs</a>  <a class=3D"moz-txt-link-freetext" rel=3D"noreferrer=
" target=3D"_blank" href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.ne=
t/archive</a>

arget=3D"_blank" href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/ton=
y@tonydrews.com">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/tony@tonydr=
ews.com</a>
</pre>
    </blockquote>
  </div>
</div></blockquote></div></span>
--=_0bd4ebbb5831b74b1faeca61f089620c--


--===============0696248252921991399==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive


--===============0696248252921991399==--


<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>