Re: [TR] 90w oil or grease

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] 90w oil or grease
From: Paul Tegler <ptegler@verizon.net> mail.backend.jedi.jws.acl:role.jedi.acl.token.atz.jws.hermes.aol
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 06:28:25 -0400

--------------AZ6927SW8nKiDXWUaDBDZDjl

agree with the logistics of how grease has changed since the 60s-70s,
but the reason for oil was to allow bronze bit that wear (faster than
the steel upright) to fall through the oil to the bottom rather than
remain in suspension and act as a grinding compound in the contact area.

ptegler

--
Paul Tegler
ptegler@verizon.net   www.teglerizer.com

--------------AZ6927SW8nKiDXWUaDBDZDjl

  <head>
  </head>
      60s-70s, but the reason for oil was to allow bronze bit that wear
      (faster than the steel upright) to fall through the oil to the
      bottom rather than remain in suspension and act as a grinding
      compound in the contact area.<br>
      ptegler<br>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:414e9331-a900-5f6c-8ba1-85f431ad8ae0@bradakis.com">
        cite="mid:1726078713.5802381.1681866357554@mail.yahoo.com">
          charset=UTF-8">
            sans-serif; font-size: 10pt; color: #000000;"><span
              style="color: #000000; font-style: normal; font-weight:
              400;"><span style="font-size: 14pt;">Age old question.  I
                am rebuilding my 1974 TR6 front suspension with a
                Roadster Factory complete kit.  I have always used
                bearing grease on the lower trunnions.  I am wondering
                what the latest consensus is on oil versus grease.  Any
                thoughts will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks   Harry
M.</span><br>
        years ago oil was specified because it stayed a liquid, while
        greases common to the era would often harden, get waxy and no
        longer flow.  So they wouldn't keep the parts lubricated.  Not
        an issue these days.  We used to use a blue. lithium based
        marine grease at Bailey's back before Mike retired.  Might have
        been a Sta-Lube product, I don't rightly recall.  The perils of
        getting older!</p>
      <fieldset class="moz-mime-attachment-header"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">** <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:triumphs@autox.team.net";>triumphs@autox.team.net</a> **

href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs";>http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a>
  <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/archive</a>