Re: [TR] ZS Carbs leak

To: Creig Houghtaling <creig555@live.com>
Subject: Re: [TR] ZS Carbs leak
From: James Henningsen <trguy75@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2022 12:07:05 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

--Apple-Mail-F7691073-A18C-4FE2-BDB1-EF79DA68EB16
        charset=utf-8

Plus 2 on using TR7 stromberg fuel bowl bottoms.  They don=E2=80=99t have th=
e plug and no more leak worries. And not many people want them so I have col=
lected carbs over the years without much cost .  Jim

> On Dec 10, 2022, at 11:00 AM, Creig Houghtaling <creig555@live.com> wrote:=

>=20
> =EF=BB=BF
> Dave=20
> Your leak is most likely from the plug at the bottom of your carburetor fu=
el reservoir. Or if it is an older car, you may have a jet adjuster protrudi=
ng through the bottom of your reservoir. In either case the O-rings can degr=
ade and begin leaking. Replacement O-rings can be bought online from any of t=
he Triumph vendors. Or locally from almost any auto parts store. Just take t=
he old O-ring in and match the size. They will have a box kit with all the s=
izes in it. Or. You can do like me and buy your own box kit and have a lifet=
ime supply that you will never deplete.=20
> Another issue is the plugs in the bottom of the reservoir are plastic and v=
ery old by now. There are spring clips that hold the plug from dropping out.=
 Frequently one or more of the clip arms can crack causing the retainer clip=
 to be ineffective in holding the the plug securely in place. The fresh O-ri=
ng will hold the plug in place for a time. But with vibration can slip down.=
 If that's the case, push the plug back up into the reservoir and your leak w=
ill stop. Till it vibrates down again. Vendors used to sell new plugs. You m=
ay still be able to buy new plugs. But the solution I like best is to epoxy t=
he plug into the reservoir with JB Weld. Fixed forever.  Never leak again! L=
ater carburetors in TR7s finally eliminated the plugs with solid bottom rese=
rvoirs. In fact that's the solution I used for one TR6. I replaced the reser=
voirs with solid bottom TR7 reservoirs.=20
> Good luck.=20
> Creig=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S9, an AT&T 5G Evolution capable smartphone
>=20
>=20
>=20
 to Reno in April; no gas smell in daughter=E2=80=99s garage in Reno.  Was d=
riven in May and August in Reno (see Hot August Nights!) but no smell.  Was d=
riven from Reno to Taos to Dallas; seems like that is when the problem start=
ed.
> =20
> Any thoughts on where I should start?  Its probably either the seal in the=
 float chamber or the seal on the very bottom?  If I put a mirror down there=
 what am I looking for?
@gmail.com

--Apple-Mail-F7691073-A18C-4FE2-BDB1-EF79DA68EB16
        charset=utf-8

s 2 on using TR7 stromberg fuel bowl bottoms. &nbsp;They don=E2=80=99t have t=
he plug and no more leak worries. And not many people want them so I have co=
llected carbs over the years without much cost . &nbsp;Jim</div><div dir=3D"=
ltr"><br><blockquote type=3D"cite">On Dec 10, 2022, at 11:00 AM, Creig Hough=
e type=3D"cite"><div dir=3D"ltr">=EF=BB=BF

52">
@font-face { font-family: Calibri; }
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in; font-size: 11pt; fon=
t-family: Calibri, sans-serif; }
span.EmailStyle17 { font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; color: windowtext; }
.MsoChpDefault { font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; }
@page WordSection1 { margin: 1in; }
div.WordSection1 { }</style>

ur carburetor fuel reservoir. Or if it is an older car, you may have a jet a=
djuster protruding through the bottom of your reservoir. In either case the O=
-rings can degrade and begin leaking.
 Replacement O-rings can be bought online from any of the Triumph vendors. O=
r locally from almost any auto parts store. Just take the old O-ring in and m=
atch the size. They will have a box kit with all the sizes in it. Or. You ca=
n do like me and buy your own
 box kit and have a lifetime supply that you will never deplete.&nbsp;</div>=

re plastic and very old by now. There are spring clips that hold the plug fr=
om dropping out. Frequently one or more of the clip arms can crack causing t=
he retainer clip to be ineffective
 in holding the the plug securely in place. The fresh O-ring will hold the p=
lug in place for a time. But with vibration can slip down. If that's the cas=
e, push the plug back up into the reservoir and your leak will stop. Till it=
 vibrates down again. Vendors
 used to sell new plugs. You may still be able to buy new plugs. But the sol=
ution I like best is to epoxy the plug into the reservoir with JB Weld. Fixe=
d forever.&nbsp; Never leak again! Later carburetors in TR7s finally elimina=
ted the plugs with solid bottom reservoirs.
 In fact that's the solution I used for one TR6. I replaced the reservoirs w=
ith solid bottom TR7 reservoirs.&nbsp;</div>
ng Galaxy S9, an AT&amp;T 5G Evolution capable smartphone</div>
 feel it when I run my fingers along the bottom.</p>
R6 was driven from Dallas to Reno in April; no gas smell in daughter=E2=80=99=
s garage in Reno.&nbsp; Was driven in May and August in Reno (see Hot August=
 Nights!) but no smell.&nbsp; Was driven from Reno to
 Taos to Dallas; seems like that is when the problem started.</p>
bly either the seal in the float chamber or the seal on the very bottom?&nbs=
p; If I put a mirror down there what am I looking for?</p>