[TR] Rebuilding TR6 Rack and Pinion

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Rebuilding TR6 Rack and Pinion
From: Kim <harrymague@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 00:50:11 +0000 (UTC)

------=_Part_775662_632515362.1657673411791

After several years of using a quick ratio rack and pinion steering I decid=
ed to replace it with the original rack and pinion.=C2=A0 Before trying to =
install it, I wanted to disassemble it to clean the 40 year old grease.=C2=
=A0 Disassemble went easy.=C2=A0 The several nuts that are torqued to 80ft/=
lbs were not easy to break down, but manageable.=C2=A0 The grease inside wa=
s caked and semi solid.=C2=A0 Glad I opened the rack up.=C2=A0 I kept track=
 of the shims.=C2=A0 The rack was solid so I planed to assemble with the sa=
me number of shims.=C2=A0 Assembly was going ok until installing the pinion=
.=C2=A0 Following the instructions in Triumph maintenance manual and Hanes,=
 I installed the pinion checking the end-float.=C2=A0 Everything seemed goo=
d.=C2=A0 Then you put the rubber seal on.=C2=A0 Doing that I cannot get the=
 circlip to install.=C2=A0 I looked back at the parts I had when I took it =
apart and it never had a rubber seal.=C2=A0 Both manuals talk about putting=
 the seal in.=C2=A0 It is obvious to me that I can't get the rubber "o" rin=
g seal in and get the circlip to engage.=C2=A0 Has anyone had this problem?=
=C2=A0 If you disassembled your rack and pinion, was there a rubber seal in=
 it?=C2=A0 Thanks in advance for any suggestions.=C2=A0 Harry

------=_Part_775662_632515362.1657673411791

 font-size: 10pt; color: #000000;"><span style=3D"color: #000000; font-styl=
e: normal; font-weight: 400;"><span style=3D"font-size: 14pt;">After severa=
l years of using a quick ratio rack and pinion steering I decided to replac=
e it with the original rack and pinion.&nbsp; Before trying to install it, =
I wanted to disassemble it to clean the 40 year old grease.&nbsp; Disassemb=
le went easy.&nbsp; The several nuts that are torqued to 80ft/lbs were not =
easy to break down, but manageable.&nbsp; The grease inside was caked and s=
emi solid.&nbsp; Glad I opened the rack up.&nbsp; I kept track of the shims=
.&nbsp; The rack was solid so I planed to assemble with the same number of =
shims.&nbsp; Assembly was going ok until installing the pinion.&nbsp; Follo=
wing the instructions in Triumph maintenance manual and Hanes, I installed =
the pinion checking the end-float.&nbsp; Everything seemed good.&nbsp; Then=
 you put the rubber seal on.&nbsp; Doing that I cannot get the circlip to i=
nstall.&nbsp; I looked back at the parts I had when I took it apart and it =
never had a rubber seal.&nbsp; Both manuals talk about putting the seal in.=
&nbsp; It is obvious to me that I can't get the rubber "o" ring seal in and=
 get the circlip to engage.&nbsp; Has anyone had this problem?&nbsp; If you=
 disassembled your rack and pinion, was there a rubber seal in it?&nbsp; Th=
------=_Part_775662_632515362.1657673411791--

--===============1646512251461658610==

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

--===============1646512251461658610==--