Re: [TR] TR4A-6 Trunnion Wear

To: "Jim Henningsen" <trguy75@gmail.com>, "'TR3 Triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR4A-6 Trunnion Wear
From: "Jerry Van Vlack" <jerryvv@roadrunner.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2021 20:02:59 -0500
TRF had an inventory reduction sale on TR4A/6 trunnions a few weeks ago.
Good price and I bought a pair, visually look like good parts.

To answer your question.
1. Check the hole for the thru bold for wear. If any replace them.
2. Check the acme threads to upright fit for slop and or rough motion. Check
the upright threads as well for same.
3. While you're checking stuff be sure to check the thru bolt and control
arm bushings too and replace that stuff if necessary. Lots of potential wear
points in the bottom joint area.
4. In assembled condition but with a jack under the spring pan to take the
weight of the car try to move the wheel / tire assembly as you would with
ball joints looking for movement in and out and up and down.
5. If all checks good then disassemble, clean and lube with new oil or
grease whichever you prefer. I've used grease for years but the manual
actually calls for more of an oil. Some use OMC outdrive pump to inject oil
in lieu of grease. Pick your poison.

Mine are the originals from 1966 and I bought new ones because I wanted too
as they were a really good deal. I will be checking mine this spring and
cleaning and re=lubing them as part of a general once over before driving
season and checking the fit of the new TRF parts.

Let us know what you find.

JVV