Re: [TR] Paint job for 1972 TR6

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Paint job for 1972 TR6
From: Brian Induni <binduni@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2019 21:07:03 -0700

--000000000000c1b12005944a2f07

Hey Jeff. Well, a "paint job" is a very relative conversation. If the
engine bay is black then it's been repainted - someone correct me if I'm
wrong but Triumph painted the engine bay body color. And are you saying the
frame DOES need to be straightened or are the paint shops saying that
because the door gaps don't line up? If they are telling you that based on
the door gaps, find another shop that actually knows Triumphs (or any
British car for that matter...).

As for cost, $15k for a paint job needs some quantification - what are they
doing for that price? My guess is they will spend 1 to 2 days sanding the
whole car, then they are accounting for 1 day of basic/minor repairs. If
they need to do ANY metal work, there could be 2-3 more days added. Then
there is 1-2 days of primer/sealer and sanding. Then 1 day of painting, 1
day of curing, 1-2 days of cut & buff. This is assuming you go single stage
paint and not color/clear coat.

My experience is that materials alone cost $2-3k and I do my own painting.
So at $125 / hour, a 12 day project will be ~$12k, then add in $3k for
supplies and viola - $15k. And that's not even doing any body work! I've
seen shops that can do much better than that, but you'll need to find one
that knows British cars or one that will work with you on the project.

Hope this helps.

Brian

> > ?
> > Hello,
> >
> > I?m looking to have my ?72 TR6 painted. However there are  2
> restoration/paint places near me, (Philadelphia area).  They are both say
> that it?s going to cost about $15,000. There is nothing wrong with my car
> mechanically. And the current paint job is not that bad. But the engine bay
> is the (original  ???) black. And the frame night need some alignment. The
> doors do not align exactly. I?m not looking for a car show looking vehicle.
> But I don?t want a Maaco job either. Does anyone have  any suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jeff Nathanson
> > ** triumphs@autox.team.net **
> >

> ------------------------------
>
> End of Triumphs Digest, Vol 12, Issue 225

--000000000000c1b12005944a2f07

int job&quot; is a very relative conversation. If the engine bay is black t=
hen it&#39;s been repainted - someone correct me if I&#39;m wrong but Trium=
ph painted the engine bay body color. And are you saying the frame DOES nee=
d to be straightened or are the paint shops saying that because the door ga=
ps don&#39;t line up? If they are telling you that based on the door gaps, =
find another shop that actually knows Triumphs (or any British car for that=
for a paint job needs some quantification - what are they doing for that=C2=
=A0price? My guess is they will spend 1 to 2 days sanding the whole car, th=
en they are accounting for 1 day of basic/minor repairs. If they need to do=
 ANY metal work, there could be 2-3 more days added. Then there is 1-2 days=
 of primer/sealer and sanding. Then 1 day of painting, 1 day of curing, 1-2=
 days of cut &amp; buff. This is assuming you go single stage paint and not=
 alone cost $2-3k and I do my own painting. So at $125 / hour, a 12 day pro=
ject will be ~$12k, then add in $3k for supplies and viola - $15k. And that=
&#39;s not even doing any body work! I&#39;ve seen shops that can do much b=
etter than that, but you&#39;ll need to find one that knows British cars or=
e class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px s=
olid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
&gt; ?<br>
&gt; Hello,<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 <br>
&gt; I?m looking to have my ?72 TR6 painted. However there are=C2=A0 2 rest=
oration/paint places near me, (Philadelphia area).=C2=A0 They are both say =
that it?s going to cost about $15,000. There is nothing wrong with my car m=
echanically. And the current paint job is not that bad. But the engine bay =
is the (original=C2=A0 ???) black. And the frame night need some alignment.=
 The doors do not align exactly. I?m not looking for a car show looking veh=
icle. But I don?t want a Maaco job either. Does anyone have=C2=A0 any sugge=
stions?<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 <br>
&gt; Thanks,<br>
&gt; Jeff Nathanson<br>
&gt; ** <a href=3D"mailto:triumphs@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank">triump=
hs@autox.team.net</a> **<br>
&gt; <br><br>
End of Triumphs Digest, Vol 12, Issue 225<br>

--000000000000c1b12005944a2f07--

--===============7427104906199944566==

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

--===============7427104906199944566==--