Re: [TR] U.S. EPA Finalizes Rulemaking to Permit Year-Round Sales of E15

To: triumphs@autox.team.net,Anthony Rhodes <spamiam@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] U.S. EPA Finalizes Rulemaking to Permit Year-Round Sales of E15 Gasoline
From: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com> 6qlNGV62XFARtSvv8TKaEKk10SotnSC9eNl7NZDVoOWYZ1ioWs2cJBt+DG+IynvnqFecQXPHYGXOmWbjLRCnqH05VPKkM69jRFI=
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2019 13:53:12 -0700

------L1NFT3BZ4QCF9QO9KC9962JK8NM0LU
 charset=utf-8

Why would it have to be round?

Sure, there are boundary effects and such, but the fuel velocity in the je=
t is low, reasonably constant, and the same as before=2E  I would expect th=
e side effects to be reasonably small=2E A 5% increase in effective opening=
 should get pretty close to 5% more fuel, even if the opening is no longer =
a ring??
-- Randall

On 7 June 2019 13:40:24 GMT-07:00, Anthony Rhodes <spamiam@comcast=2Enet> =
wrote:
>Even a file is too aggressive and can't possibly get it round enough
>
>Ideally it would be in a lathe but that is really hard to do
>
>The best way to do it by hand is to chuck it into a drill press and
>spin it=2E Then use fine sandpaper and remove brass in the desired area
>very gently=2E  A thousandth of an inch makes a big difference!  You are
>likely looking for around 0=2E005" removal=2E =20
>
>I suspect that the mixture is a non-linear function of open cross
>section area=2E As the space between the needle and the jet gets wider, I
>bet the flow gets a lot easier=2E  There could easily be issues of
>turbulent flow vs laminar flow as the walls get further apart=2E =20
>
>Nevertheless my first approximation assuming a linear function resulted
>in a needle selection that seemed quite good for my engine=2E=20
>
>-Tony
>
>Sent from my 1837 Babbage Analytical Engine
>
>> On Jun 7, 2019, at 2:00 PM, triumphs-request@autox=2Eteam=2Enet wrote:
>>=20
>> Message: 4
>> Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2019 13:57:42 -0700
>> From: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca=2Err=2Ecom>
>> To: "'Greg Lemon'" <grglmn@gmail=2Ecom>
>> Cc: <triumphs@autox=2Eteam=2Enet>, "'Pete Arakelian'"
>>    <Arakelianp@mossmotors=2Ecom>
>> Subject: Re: [TR] U=2ES=2E EPA Finalizes Rulemaking to Permit Year-Roun=
>>    Sales of E15 Gasoline
>>=20
>>=20
>> Those brass needles are really soft; I would suggest a fine tooth
>file and a
>> light touch rather than a Dremel=2E  I haven't worked out how big the
>flat
>> should be, but it won't take much=2E  You're only looking for something
>like
>> 5% more fuel (or maybe 6%, depending on whose numbers you believe)=2E
>>=20
>> Again assuming you want to run E15 in the first place=2E
>>=20
>> -- Randall
>
>** triumphs@autox=2Eteam=2Enet **
>
>Donate: http://www=2Eteam=2Enet/donate=2Ehtml
>Archive: http://www=2Eteam=2Enet/pipermail/triumphs=20
>http://www=2Eteam=2Enet/archive
>
>Unsubscribe/Manage:
>http://autox=2Eteam=2Enet/mailman/options/triumphs/tr3driver@ca=2Err=2Eco=

------L1NFT3BZ4QCF9QO9KC9962JK8NM0LU
 charset=utf-8

are boundary effects and such, but the fuel velocity in the jet is low, rea=
sonably constant, and the same as before=2E  I would expect the side effect=
s to be reasonably small=2E A 5% increase in effective opening should get p=
retty close to 5% more fuel, even if the opening is no longer a ring??<br>-=
00, Anthony Rhodes &lt;spamiam@comcast=2Enet&gt; wrote:<blockquote class=3D=
"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0=2E8ex; border-left: 1px solid =
rgb(204, 204, 204); padding-left: 1ex;">
<pre class=3D"k9mail">Even a file is too aggressive and can't possibly get=
 it round enough<br><br>Ideally it would be in a lathe but that is really h=
ard to do<br><br>The best way to do it by hand is to chuck it into a drill =
press and spin it=2E Then use fine sandpaper and remove brass in the desire=
d area very gently=2E  A thousandth of an inch makes a big difference!  You=
 are likely looking for around 0=2E005" removal=2E  <br><br>I suspect that =
the mixture is a non-linear function of open cross section area=2E As the s=
pace between the needle and the jet gets wider, I bet the flow gets a lot e=
asier=2E  There could easily be issues of turbulent flow vs laminar flow as=
 the walls get further apart=2E  <br><br>Nevertheless my first approximatio=
n assuming a linear function resulted in a needle selection that seemed qui=
lytical Engine<br><br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin: 0p=
t 0pt 1ex 0=2E8ex; border-left: 1px solid #729fcf; padding-left: 1ex;">On J=
un 7, 2019, at 2:00 PM, triumphs-request@autox=2Eteam=2Enet wrote:<br><br>M=
essage: 4<br>Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2019 13:57:42 -0700<br>From: "Randall" &lt;TR=
3driver@ca=2Err=2Ecom&gt;<br>To: "'Greg Lemon'" &lt;grglmn@gmail=2Ecom&gt;<=
br>Cc: &lt;triumphs@autox=2Eteam=2Enet&gt;, "'Pete Arakelian'"<br>   &lt;Ar=
akelianp@mossmotors=2Ecom&gt;<br>Subject: Re: [TR] U=2ES=2E EPA Finalizes R=
ulemaking to Permit Year-Round<br>   Sales of E15 Gasoline<br>Message-ID: &=
lt;A977DEC0BB084269B41EE85B61224458@RYPC&gt;<br>Content-Type: text/plain;  =
uld suggest a fine tooth file and a<br>light touch rather than a Dremel=2E =
 I haven't worked out how big the flat<br>should be, but it won't take much=
=2E  You're only looking for something like<br>5% more fuel (or maybe 6%, d=
epending on whose numbers you believe)=2E<br><br>Again assuming you want to=
umphs@autox=2Eteam=2Enet **<br><br>Donate: <a href=3D"http://www=2Eteam=2En=
et/donate=2Ehtml">http://www=2Eteam=2Enet/donate=2Ehtml</a><br>Archive: <a =
href=3D"http://www=2Eteam=2Enet/pipermail/triumphs";>http://www=2Eteam=2Enet=
/pipermail/triumphs</a>  <a href=3D"http://www=2Eteam=2Enet/archive";>http:/=