[Fot] Spark plugs

Subject: [Fot] Spark plugs
From: sjanzen at me.com (Scott Janzen)
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2018 14:07:23 -0400
In my race GT6, I?m currently running a champion c59YC - a pretty cool plug.
That?s 11.5:1 compression, constant high revs (4.5-7k), 110 octane.  I just had
it on a chassis dyno and one thing I learned that was interesting - I had been
running plug gaps in the 0.026 range (stock).  The guys at the shop asked a few
questions, and said, you should be running about 0.035?. I bumped it up to that
and picked up 4 HP.
In the prior motor, different cam but mostly all else equal, I was running two
heat ranges higher with no issues.
Not sure that helps much for your car - look at where your current plugs are in
the range and perhaps go up a notch or two.  The NGK article is helpful.  Might
be that your float level is too high or the jets are too rich.
Going to the dyno with a range of jets, plugs, and a timing light has helped me
find 5-10% more power over the years.  My local tuning/race shop will give me
2-3 hours for about $200.  I do my own adjustments, and I go there every time
with a new engine to do break-in pulls - much cheaper than having a new engine
failure at the track.

On Jun 22, 2018, at 9:11 AM, McKearn McKearn via Fot <fot at autox.team.net>