Re: [TR] Electronic ignition question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Electronic ignition question
From: George Richardson <gpr@key-men.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2016 18:07:24 -0400
--===============1558079312517909571==
 boundary="------------4D3DE21E43DB4CB6F8C92A5D"

--------------4D3DE21E43DB4CB6F8C92A5D

Unless the module was replaced with the same type, the timing would be
off. Just set the timing.

George Richardson
Key Men - Keys for Classics
www.key-men.com

1957 Triumph TR3
1961 Jaguar Mark 2
1975 Triumph TR6
1997 Land Rover Discovery

On 10/26/2016 9:49 AM, Wbeech@flash.net wrote:
> A friend in our British car club, (not enough TRs in town to be
> exclusive), is having timing issues after replacing the module in his
> distributor.   While this is a 1970 E-Type I offered to pass his
> question on to the brilliant minds of this TR list.
> Bill B
>
> Bill ? following is the tech support request I read to you on the
> phone.  Thanks
>
> ?/The Mallory Elec Dist replaced the orig Lucas factory unit - in
> 2009. Engine ran well - no problems until recently when engine just
> sputtered and quit! Investigated ignition and determined the module
> was bad. Replaced it with "ACCEL Module PN2005". Now, at least the
> engine will start but runs horribly! Seemed to be badly out of time.
> Checked timing with light and appears to be nearly 30 deg retarded.
> Thought the pinch-bolt on base of distributor may have allowed the
> distributor to drift (rotate) - until I tried loosening bolts and
> found I could not move it - so my point here, is that if it's out of
> time it's been that way a while or perhaps the module could not be the
> correct one for this distributor.  Your thoughts?  ? /
>
> //
>

> ** triumphs@autox.team.net **
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/gpr@key-men.com

--------------4D3DE21E43DB4CB6F8C92A5D

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
      would be off. Just set the timing.<br>
    <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">George Richardson
Key Men - Keys for Classics
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="http://www.key-men.com";>www.key-men.com</a>

1957 Triumph TR3
1961 Jaguar Mark 2
1975 Triumph TR6
1997 Land Rover Discovery</pre>
class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:Wbeech@flash.net";>Wbeech@flash.net</a>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:812CA298-D424-42E0-844A-8207ABBC4DF4@flash.net"
      type="cite">
        charset=windows-1252">
        be exclusive), is having timing issues after replacing the
        module in his distributor.   While this is a 1970 E-Type I
        offered to pass his question on to the brilliant minds of this
        TR list.  </div>
          charset=windows-1252">
          medium)">
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
        {font-family:"Cambria Math";
        panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
        {font-family:Calibri;
        panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
        {margin:0in;
        margin-bottom:.0001pt;
        font-size:11.0pt;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
        {mso-style-priority:99;
        color:#0563C1;
        text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
        {mso-style-priority:99;
        color:#954F72;
        text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
        {mso-style-type:personal-compose;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
        color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
        {mso-style-type:export-only;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
@page WordSection1
        {size:8.5in 11.0in;
        margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
        {page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
            request I read to you on the phone.  Thanks</p>
                Elec Dist replaced the orig Lucas factory unit - in
                2009. Engine ran well - no problems until recently when
                engine just sputtered and quit! Investigated ignition
                and determined the module was bad. Replaced it with
                "ACCEL Module PN2005". Now, at least the engine will
                start but runs horribly! Seemed to be badly out of time.
                Checked timing with light and appears to be nearly 30
                deg retarded. Thought the pinch-bolt on base of
                distributor may have allowed the distributor to drift
                (rotate) - until I tried loosening bolts and found I
                could not move it - so my point here, is that if it's
                out of time it's been that way a while or perhaps the
                module could not be the correct one for this
      <pre wrap="">
** <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:triumphs@autox.team.net";>triumphs@autox.team.net</a> **

href="http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/forums";>http://www.team.net/forums</a>
</pre>

--===============1558079312517909571==--