Re: [TR] OD Transmission problem - suggestions?

To: Rye Livingston <ryel@mac.com>, Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [TR] OD Transmission problem - suggestions?
From: David Porter <frogeye@porterscustom.com>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2016 13:33:11 -0600
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
--===============2523927696360375776==
 boundary="------------5246DC60514A6FD8D352A6E2"

--------------5246DC60514A6FD8D352A6E2

Have your mechanic rig a light to the solenoid power and observe if it
stays on (not electrical) or goes out when the symptom occurs
(electrical) see Randall's #3

dave

--
Dave Porter Porter Custom Bicycles 2909 Arno St. NE Albuquerque, NM
87107 505-352-1378 Go HERE: my world www.porterbikes.com/

--------------5246DC60514A6FD8D352A6E2

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
      if it stays on (not electrical) or goes out when the symptom
      occurs (electrical) see Randall's #3<br>
      wrote:<br>
      type="cite">
        Motorsports.</div>
        On May 19, 2016, at 06:29 AM, Randall
        <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:tr3driver@ca.rr.com";>&lt;tr3driver@ca.rr.com&gt;</a> wrote:<br>
                certainly an A-type, as that is the only type fitted as
                original.<br>
                Very slim chance someone fitted a J-type along with a
                later gearbox, but not<br>
                likely. I guess anything is possible (I once saw a
                Spitfire with a 426 Hemi<br>
                under the hood), but you'd have to be slightly crazy to
                put a LH or D type<br>
                behind a TRactor motor.<br>
                Things I would look at:<br>
                1) Does the pressure hold when the problem is actually
                happening? (Or did<br>
                they only check it on the bench)<br>
                2) How far does the ball in the operating valve actually
                move? It's not<br>
                unusual for components to wear until the "setting lever"
                is no longer<br>
                accurate.<br>
                3) Is the solenoid still drawing current when the
                problem happens?<br>
                Obviously, if not, the problem is electrical (outside
                the OD).<br>
                FWIW, I am currently having a somewhat similar problem
                with the A-type in my<br>
                56 TR3. In my case, the problem is almost certainly the
                3-4 isolator switch<br>
                being intermittent. Bumping the shift lever slightly
                forward (not enough to<br>
                shift out of gear) or backward will usually get it to
                make contact again.<br>
                Sooner or later, I'll have to pull the cover and change
                the switch. Maybe<br>
                this time, I'll pay more attention to the number of
                shims under it.<br>
                I'm also curious how they established that the OD clutch
                is not slipping.<br>
                How much torque did they apply to try to make it slip?<br>
                Was that while you were seeing the problem?<br>
                -- Randall<br>
                ** <a moz-do-not-send="true"
                  href="mailto:triumphs@autox.team.net";

data-mce-href="mailto:triumphs@autox.team.net";>triumphs@autox.team.net</a>
                **<br>
                Donate: <a moz-do-not-send="true"
                  href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";

data-mce-href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";>http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
                Archive: <a moz-do-not-send="true"
                  href="http://www.team.net/archive";

data-mce-href="http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
                Forums: <a moz-do-not-send="true"
                  href="http://www.team.net/forums";

data-mce-href="http://www.team.net/forums";>http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
                Unsubscribe/Manage: <a moz-do-not-send="true"

href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/ryel@mac.com";
data-mce-href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/ryel@mac.com";>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/ryel@mac.com</a><br>
      <pre wrap="">
** <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:triumphs@autox.team.net";>triumphs@autox.team.net</a> **

href="http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/forums";>http://www.team.net/forums</a>
</pre>
      Dave Porter
      Porter Custom Bicycles
      2909 Arno St. NE
      Albuquerque, NM 87107
      505-352-1378
      Go HERE: my world <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="http://www.porterbikes.com/";>www.porterbikes.com/</a>

--===============2523927696360375776==--