[TR] TR3 Differential

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] TR3 Differential
From: terryrs@comcast.net
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2015 17:43:21 +0000 (UTC)
Thread-index: AdBdCUw2DOG4FVouSvGTEGY+KH3t38pggTg7 s=q20140121; t=1426355001; bh=sCem4qw72bTYGoQ6MY2NIdZetVsmD5DjCT5a9GZ1wLU=; h=Received:Received:Date:From:To:Message-ID:Subject:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=r/rkJ3YCyNAHUwCXgA91nl7cy/Q6ymGtzQioCzfVafHrMR0DvOPZ8vtqP/EEDDsbb FiRTjndl+xFwz2SU3xwXfQduELtJTd+wpAKxCxNMEKVNU+LCcPTOb73Sz2NiwlmsaE cAysPU8W72NCHr+/q/JG+eb5lEQHHjzZYr0vYSvH0KJHfjFQXFTJGkZxvN7+3NIr1W fKmAq5AzrwMzEHsBTbLlnVEFfoCyrLADumUokEt12TBPbprVqpE3VwuEI9+4wIbdGr bmrJVjFEgTyrek7f0c1+9tBQd9yv7n7NQXvtQpBkvj0iub2SSaJ/NghlbYTE90Lb4r R5Bn34pe+0LPQ==
I am in uncharted territory here.  Never dealt with differential issues before.
 It's the one thing I didn't go through when I restored the TR3A a dozen years
ago.  Car is TS 58667, so according to my manual has the later rear axle
(changed at No 13046).

Toward the end of last driving season, I'd been hearing mild clunking from the
rear of the car when starting out from stop. Now looking into it, I have the
car on jacks, turned the passenger tire, and got a little play, nothing too
serious.  When I pulled the tires, though, and now turn the hub with the car in
gear, the driveline does not engage at all.  The wheel spins freely but the
pinion shaft does not try to turn.

Any ideas where to start looking?

Terry Smith,
New Hampshire