[TR] Spit vacuum retard fix

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Spit vacuum retard fix
From: Tim Gaines <mtgaines@presby.edu>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 22:00:33 -0400 (EDT)
I've discovered that the vacuum retard unit on my 1980 Spitfire 1500 (original
Lucas electronic ignition) has a leak.  When I blow through the attached vacuum
line I can feel air escaping near the movable shaft that hooks into the
distributor.  I decided to look for a replacement and trusted Google to get me
to the regular suppliers and others I might not know about.  One of the finds
was a Tips & Tricks section of the online Spitfire and GT6 Magazine, copied
below.

------------
"I was able to repair my vacuum retard with a 69 cent o-ring. Just remove the
vacuum retard from the distributor. Slip the o-ring over the shaft and push
into to housing. I used two o-rings but one seemed to work just as well. This
won't work if you have a ruptured diaphragm but in most cases the vacuum leak
occurs at the shaft. You can get this part at any hardware store. The size is
1/4"OD x 1/8" ID X 16" thick."
------------

I'm sure the last dimension given would be 1/16" thick.

I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with this fix.  I plan to get to
the hardware store tomorrow and give it a try, but this sounds too good to be
true.  Was there an O-ring in the unit originally, or would this be a fix for
some other broken seal?

Tim Gaines
Clinton, SC
1974 TR6