Re: [TR] Diff Pinion Seal

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, Jim Vassiliadis <jimstr4@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TR] Diff Pinion Seal
From: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 0:45:11 +0000
> Does anyone know whether he can just put the flange back and do up the nut
> or he we opened up a can of worms?

Should be no problem at all on a TR4.  Just torque it to the book value (85-100
ftlb) and put in a new cotter pin.  If the shims were right before, they will
still be right afterwards.  (The problem units are later TR6, where the shims
were replaced by a single-use collapsible spacer.)

However, I find it odd that your mechanic says the surface has to be refinished
before installing a Speedi-sleeve.  The whole point of the sleeve is that the
surface does not need to be perfect.  He may be right about not needed the
sleeve after the linishing (depends on how deep the mark is), but I wouldn't do
both.

Randall

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive