Re: [TR] Flushing Brake System

To: William Brewer <wsb1960tr3a@att.net>, Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Flushing Brake System
From: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 21:52:51 +0000
---- William Brewer <wsb1960tr3a@att.net> wrote:
>      What does one use to flush out the brake hydraulic system when converting
> over to Dot 5? I think that they say "methylated spirits" or something like
> that. What does that mean in American English? Does lacquer thinner work or
> does that eat up the plastic parts? I may just blow it out and then flush the
> Dot 5 through.

Like Geo said, my current preference is to flush it with DOT 5.  However, if
you insist on using a solvent, my understanding is that methanol (aka methyl
alcohol, aka wood alcohol) is safest.  That isn't the same (so I'm told) as
"methylated spirits" (which are more like our denatured alcohol).

My local drug store had methanol, but they keep it behind the counter.  It's
not a controlled substance, but is kind of poisonous and not something you'd
want to use on your skin or in the punch bowl.  The pharmacist looked at me
funny when I explained why I wanted it, but handed me the bottle.  Home Depot
probably has it as well, but at the time the drug store was a lot closer to
home.  (Now the drug store is gone and Home Depot is close by, go figure.)

Randall

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive