Re: [TR] TR3 Timing advance

To: "Wbeech@flash.net" <wbeech@flash.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 Timing advance
From: Geo Hahn <ahwahneetr@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 18:29:31 -0700
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 5:37 PM, <wbeech@flash.net> wrote:

> ..."Most of us are finding that the timing is set a lot further
> forward(than 4 degrees BTDC).  Like about 12 to 14 degrees"...
>
> So, the question would be, where are you setting the idle timing on your
> TR2-4?  Does this much advance make sense?

Not to me.   I set static by the book then adjust as needed to eliminate
pinging/knocking.  At most that is a couple of degrees.

After I'm done I put a timing light on it to see where the timing is at
high RPM when the advance is all-in... just to assure myself that this is a
reasonable number.  I do that because pinging would be hard to hear at high
RPM so best to be sure it isn't too advanced.

Of course 3s & 4s have different advance curves -- but if the 120-140 is a
static setting I would think the results would not be good.

OTOH -- if they are setting the timing at idle using a timing light that is
a very different matter as centrifugal advance comes on pretty early,
starting before typical idle speed.

http://tinyurl.com/kwkf4hk

Geo

** triumphs@autox.team.net **