[TR] Of New Zealand Overdrives and Bosch Alternators

To: triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net> s=q20121106; t=1370046719; bh=FQss+URQ26q0GUv40UcxtqtEjqrI2x1sDQAv87dG6Fk=; h=Received:Received:Date:From:To:Message-ID:Subject:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=hQJNwzm/vAFIbXR/eUAEah05kpFMLi7DfLB9GmTSIVOpNZDamVVO7scC1WzOwmjaF 4AjWvkXyj00QN1si3kI1p/mS66P8freugk9m48AxRZQthFG0h7rIHqfMSGaMBgSDxU RhJ7Q/extMfyehSKT6DekLO8aX6yiUZ6Ag/OsiQXxPn8TxFaTfOa1Kueq7wi/Ys9yC jHq0hbrtDOo1apD50GKMFb0dXC7hpIHMJK0jO9adhRmlAsBiwnMosH6I3ZMtnne52R Wi0eKFt/WWzCaEiUMwtY+myJrUDfwMzsGUG54+VdCy20RYFhdu+4PzFJ+1Aucwtnx5 j1OGDi2bn1W/w==
Subject: [TR] Of New Zealand Overdrives and Bosch Alternators
From: fogbro1@comcast.net
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2013 00:31:59 +0000 (UTC)
List,

I sent the following to some local Triumph owners, but thought it might be of
interest to other TR owners. The 'J' type overdrive in question was purchased
on Ebay from a seller with great feedback. The alternator is frequently
recommended as a "bolt in" unit for TR6's. It probably is for cars built before
January 1975.

Ed Woods

"All,

Some of you have heard of the trials and tribulations Bill , Bruce and I have
been enduring over the past few weeks, trying to get an overdrive, purchased on
Ebay from a guy in New Zealand, operable. After practially dismantling it in
place a number of times and still never seeing any hydraulic pressure, we
finally gave up and removed the entire transmission last week, separated the
'J' type overdrive, and sent it to my mentor, John Esposito, for diagnosis and
testing. The problem turned out to be caused by the remains of a rubber 'O'
ring blocking a port within the solenoid housing. It also had an incorrect
non-return valve and the wrong internal speedo gear. We'd already determined
that the external speedo gear and its clamping mechanism were incorrect,
costing around $100 to fix. The o/d had been taken from a Triumph sedan; "2500"
I think. The seller's claim was that this unit had been "rebuilt and tested"
and was suitable for a TR6. Sure it was.

So, John got it all back together and tested on Saturday and shipped it to me
onTuesday. It arrived Thursday. Not bad: a one week turn around, including a
holiday weekend. Bill and I stuck it back on the gearbox and reinstalled the
thing today. Unfortunately, we lost the copper washer for the solenoid, so were
unable to road test it. We are getting better at removing and replacing a 'J'
type overdrive in a late TR6, however. Prayer and a pair of forceps help a
bunch on the 4 rear mount bracket bolts.

We also found that the Bosch alternator is not a "drop in" on TR6's built after
January 1975, the ones with an air pump. Are we the first to discover this?
There's no mention of it on the internet, not that we could find anyway. Ended
up replacing the '76 air pump/alternator combo bracket with one from a TR250
which was still no easy task, since the bearer plate is also different on later
cars. We found all this out as we went along. Biggest clue to the later
alternator installation, other than the air pump, is that the adjusting link is
beneath the alternator.

So we await a new adjusting link and a copper washer, but the hard work, we
hope, is done. Maybe next week we can get the car to Larry Learn for its new
interior....

Ed"

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive