[TR] TR6 - Front Axle Upgrade kits

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] TR6 - Front Axle Upgrade kits
From: Allan Reich <areich@telus.net>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 12:06:56 -0700
Greetings:
My TR6 has the Front Axle Upgrade Kit , available from a number of
suppliers, installed by previous owner. These are the kits that include
an extension that fits over the axle between the inner and outer
bearings to consolidate the axles and the bearings (an example is Moss
661-293).
I discovered this after I blew a front bearing and took everything apart.
I replaced both side's  front bearing sets (inner, outer, including
races) but had trouble on each.
I found set-up instructions on the web.
When doing the fit without the seals, the passenger side was loose
without any shims, so I just removed the stiffners and set up as normal
bearings.
When doing the driver side, it set up well with two shims without the
seal. When I put the tire rotates but with lots of effort.
I have a few questions:
     1. Who makes these kits and can I contact them with questions?
     2. Can I machine down the loose extender to make it tighter and
where would I find shims?
     3. Will the driver side loosen up over time and act normally?
Allan Reich
1975 TR6 CF30255U (+O)
Vancouver, Canada

** triumphs@autox.team.net **