Re: [TR] Bad Engine Oil Leak

To: "John & Pat Donnelly" <pdonnel1@san.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [TR] Bad Engine Oil Leak
From: Geo Hahn <ahwahneetr@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 20:39:05 -0700
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 8:02 PM, John & Pat Donnelly <pdonnel1@san.rr.com>wrote:

> Something's wrong here, and I don't believe that venting to a catch tank is
> the proper thing to do. The real issue in my mind is, what's changed? and
> how do I validate it?

My TR4 wasn't quite that bad but was oozing oil from every possible pore.
In the end I added a TR3 crankcase breather to relieve the pressure and
that greatly reduced leakage.

The crankcase ventilation provision on a TR4 is (I think) even more
constricted than the PVC on a 4A so the breather seem a prudent relief for
what was (IMO) an inadequate design.

As for the 'why' of your problem -- are you sure the rings got seated?
I'll ask (cause I do not really know) would rings that hadn't seated
reliably show up as low compression?

Geo

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive