Re: [TR] Waking a sleeping car

To: triumphs@autox.team.net (Win)/6.0.13_GA_2944) s=q20121106; t=1362093536; bh=Vi+ZuImM7C+Rnbkw24a6FWJzLqY0Qwd/9n9yRbj7M7M=; h=Received:Received:Date:From:To:Message-ID:Subject:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=LF/1f3ZfhuU6WGxhLmT0ij0LfAfvxrJ63RzpVJktPAqtxQXH/UZ5+uLkqWM93vBlB kOiYatarIGjHZQuVp66KoEWFfxCGDaVK9DM0UTgV6NhRuXWc8gZ4v3mF08SFPD6Ufn MYNPUZHBxgL/aderwtb3p9dOr4an3MAhI/lC2sryfElVUdvAvY9sT4Sk9dxN1ZcsN2 zNfcDNLtaGT/+22UuH+x3wh4XS7NGauw64a5xLfAbNZSGXJ7kCMSZdIxZqP3S1dUqi 3NKerb8+BMr4VmBeCU5k1T/rO/pCMCIzDXW8Tudr6ow0ZOlOqxLR0GE89cnP6WIa5b 1hE7mAygqxcqw==
Subject: Re: [TR] Waking a sleeping car
From: terryrs@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 23:18:56 +0000 (UTC)
>A short time ago someone posted a link for a check list to wake a sleeping
>car. I think it came from an MG page, but it had a detailed check list of
>what to do to prepare a car that has not been run in years to start etc. I
>printed out and misplaced it.

Well, a number of things come to mind.

One, of course, is never run the old gas.  Even if it starts, it will varnish
everything in sight to some degree.  While you're at it, stick a magnet in the
gas tank to see if it collects a pod of rust.

Two, change the oil.  After all that time sitting, oil can get pretty
moisture-laden and sludgy.  You'll want the best lubrication possible on
initial fire.  Make that ANY fire.  It wouldn't hurt to put a little oil in the
top of the cylinders to get immediate lubrication on fire.  While you're at it,
check the spark plugs for rust or old fouling.  If anal, pull the head cover
and pour oil over the rocker.  If you're going to drive the car, change the oil
in the transmission and differential also.  If you have grease points, chip
away the rocks that your old grease became, and re-lube all nipples.  Don't
forget the drive shaft.

Three, check the air cleaners.  Clean or replace.  Mice have a habit of
roosting in them.  You can chase your tail wondering why the engine doesn't run
right, otherwise.

Four, check the throttle linkage to make sure it hasn't stuck itself over time.
 Don't want to race the engine at 9 grand on fire.

Five, do not...do not...do not...trust your brakes.  Anything other than
silicone brake fluid absorbs moisture and rots brake lines from the inside out.
 You might not even know you had a brake problem until you're stretching your
hand out to shake hands with St. Peter.

Six, have a home brew.  Have two.  Softens the blows that are to come.

Your experience may vary...etc...etc...etc.

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive