Re: [TR] polarity question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, Andrew Uprichard <auprichard@uprichard.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] polarity question
From: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 18:52:08 -0500
---- Andrew Uprichard <auprichard@uprichard.net> wrote:
> My understanding was it was a fairly simple exercise to convert positive
> ground to negative ground, namely wire everything the same (apart from the
> battery) and then touch the smaller generator terminal (green/yellow)to the
> positive pole of the battery a few times to re-polarize the generator.

That should work.  It is best to swap the connections to the ignition coil and
ammeter, but that won't have any effect on the charging system.

Hate to say it, but I think you have some other failure that just happened to
coincide with the change in battery polarity.  There are some tests outlined at
http://goo.gl/mQy6i
that might help.

BTW, be really careful about bridging the green/yellow to the battery while the
engine is running.  That drives the generator to full output, and it can put
out enough current to damage itself.  A few seconds will probably be OK, but
don't try to drive that way.

Randall

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive