Re: [TR] Towing a TR3A without a trailer/dolly

To: car discussion Sports Triumph <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Towing a TR3A without a trailer/dolly
From: John Wise <tr3a.60@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 11:50:50 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=from:mime-version:content-type:subject:date:in-reply-to:to :references:message-id:x-mailer; bh=B/TWpdQ9gwGxUqj/rpIIERKpeysunPLfd+oGxIRkkWY=; b=DrZOkJdVz2GBmG7V0xGalmv8K8kkW/xE7JoBSRH3koilqsvHgKy77MUv9l/+fGZaW9 IbSZ5eWGvj/GGzZhlPJ6NLdIfV1kUIzmCOfI78rbdlNuMimK44IHIz1uUnMxWo1bw4YG sl7/V0ATC4M0tbbE4kE+fcze6QB0IsMoCopXBxIiN+vmaw+CoNAxt+dyYoUKEOyLZ6h7 VFWzN6vrj8bNYZXCKMMbudOlGox+QSBPxtAqbzE4ccdt6tBOvWP8gSPr5LuwcxV2eMvc pGAg+vEjVsV/8i7UyXsdZbZR9YBNPrxfE5mspBShPR13Y7WtKV3i+y2+j3SSdMuJXPeW Tn+w==
Sender: triumphs-bounces@autox.team.net
WHIW, that 58 MGA as my daily driver for about 8-9 years through hot summers
and the cold & snow in both St Louis & Pittsburgh AFTER those tows.  I had all
the typical LBC problems with that little car; but the tranny I sold it with
was exactly the same tranny I bought it with!  Not one repair!  Being an over
educated professor, I know that anything mechanical can happen or not happen
at anytime.  But it is too good of a LBC story not to share!  :-)

John

On  15 May, 2012, at 10:45 AM, amcewen2@cogeco.ca wrote:

> Thanks John (and others),
>
> I sort of wondered if where the bumper attachs to the outriggers was strong
enough but thought the frame would be even
> stronger.
>
> However the lack of lubrication to the gearbox is sort of turning me off the
idea.  I could disconnect the driveshaft,
> but then I'd have to carry a jack, jackstands, coveralls etc.. and it starts
to defeat the relaxation & fun elements I
> was hoping for. ;)
>
> It's too bad the track is too narrow for Uhaul trailers....
>
> Art
>

>> A long, long time ago (1972) in a place far far away, I towed my 58 MGA
from Webb AFB, Texas to Pittsburg PA when I
>> left the USAF to start grad school.  I used a one-off rig that attached to
the front bumper bolts that was designed &
>> built by a local welding shop bakin Big Spring, TX.  Four years later I
used the same rig to tow the MGA from
>> Pittsburgh to St Louis (first job after grad school).  No problems...
>>
>> John
>>
>> On  14 May, 2012, at 1:19 PM, amcewen2@cogeco.ca wrote:
>>
>>> Hi listers,
>>>
>>> Not sure if this is a good idea or not but Im thinking of rigging my
(daily
>>> driver) TR3A to tow behind an RV without
>>> a trailer or dolly (4 down in RV parlance).   Obviously I cant phone up
the
>>> tow bar people and get an off the
>>> shelf mounting bracket for a TR so I was looking at having one
fabricated.

>>> My goal is to not reduce the ground clearance any more then is already
there
>>> so Id thought of using the 4 bolts that
>>> go through the frame to hold the front bumper outriggers on.   If I use
the
>>> inner side of the bolt (between the frame
>>> rails) it wont change the placement of the outriggers.  (I dont have a
>>> rad/sump guard to get in the way).
>>>
>>> I was thinking of a couple of 18 4-6mm flat steel sections shaped sort
of
>>> like Js (or flat field hockey stick)
>>> lying on its back with a piece of say 2 box steel across the crook of
the
>>> J section to act as the mounting
>>> point for the tow bar pins.   That way the bar angle wont interfere with
the
>>> bumper and it raises the mounting point
>>> slightly and the pulling stress will be on the steel and not the welds.
Id

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/tr3a.60@gmail.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive