[TR] Broken rear stud for rocker arm assembly

To: list Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Broken rear stud for rocker arm assembly
From: Chris Simo <ccsimonsen@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2012 09:28:25 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=googlemail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=ZEduz2iXeKHYXCLTspZLhir9cYEUL9f0QyNppk78gtw=; b=NhRJdBBwkoGrGJoJdJGYZTr6MFkJLGJeg/ihlcu55z1J4bMAUA5G1PCizZquZjto4P 3S4qffnyk5/RHplSmrNMufH2DQx7HkzoBRAybag0jODY9F2DTb+fNHCs3YF51E0UIZk+ TeS13phJM8fV0/+IUvjod3lqkUxhFs1A3D0Cp1xOPABLlO/35Gou6WAouTsKRZDo9Oo5 wQqqPanHrSJzn3slbAQ27ELNFJAJEh0fgb3QNlpcOWENRxWU+I4DWquwkBOhoDUX33pY XdC7AX0j5rJWz1BLcZg3vGq00CMTcuZsBAhmgViCzBDJJcZlvJx+8miLquodz/bR/ojF j7/w==
Sender: triumphs-bounces@autox.team.net
Hi list.
Took the tr4 out for a drive and about five miles out I heard a bit of
noise I thought might be associated with the transmission. Took it straight
home and parked it.

Few days later the trans level was a bit low so I used my new red harbor
freight oil can pump to fill it. After about 8 pumps I saw the hose fly off
and right down the transmission hole... a few hours later I managed to
extract it from the drain hole.... so I start the car and the noise seems
worse and I hear something like a backfire on throttle blip.   Timing,
nope. Pulled valve cover and saw rear stud nut was gone. Found nut and
washer and stud had snapped at the nut. I used a torque wrench when I
assembled so I don't know why it failed.

I stole a stud from the tr2 and reassembled and adjusted the valves.

No more backfiring, but a lot of racket.

As the rear pedestal is vital to the oil feed I imagine that it starved the
rocker arm of oil and the assy is toast.

Do you think I did additional damage to the head?

Thanks Chris

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive