Re: [TR] carpet installation question

To: "John Wise" <tr3a.60@gmail.com>, "car discussion Sports Triumph" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] carpet installation question
From: "Peter Ryner" <pryner@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 11:05:47 -0400
Sender: triumphs-bounces@autox.team.net
John,
On all of the TR-3s I've seen, all had the carpet glued directly to to metal, no backing boards or screws were used. I used spray contact cement to hold the carpet onto the metal. Need the heavy duty stuff like 3M high strength 90. You can also brush normal contact cement on both sides. The brush on stuff comes in a water base formula which is much less fumes issue, but I've found that it doesn't hold quite as well. Also make sure everything is clean. The glue will not adhere to dirt or dust. If you have fresh paint on the metal surface it is best to let it cure completely before glueing the carpet in place. The solvents in the glue will lift fresh paint.
Pete
----- Original Message ----- From: "John Wise" <tr3a.60@gmail.com>