Re: [TR] Seeking TR2 to TR3 rear axle swap advice

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Seeking TR2 to TR3 rear axle swap advice
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 18:05:53 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 2/22/2012 3:56:15 PM Central Standard Time,
ccsimonsen@gmail.com writes:
> Well,  I did not want to do it but I'm going to swap out the rear axle
> - I pulled the pinion hub off to put a speedi sleeve and a renew the
> seal and found my pinion was quite wobbly - so could be that both
> pinion and bearings are shot. It was on the list for a future upgrade
> - so it will happen sooner rather than later.

Was it wobbly before you pulled the flange or only afterwards?  The pinion
flange nut holds the pinion shaft assembly (flange, shaft, pinion gear)
tight against the bearings and with the flange removed the remaining shaft is
free to wobble about.  You could be chasing a phantom.

Dave

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive