[TR] Weeping head bolts

Subject: [TR] Weeping head bolts
From: pdonnel1 at san.rr.com (John & Pat Donnelly)
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2011 06:42:30 -0800
When running the engine for the first time after installing my new Mad Marx
rear oil seal I noticed that a couple of the head bolts were weeping water
up through the threads. There were two of them on the manifold side on each
side of #2 cylinder. One built up a little puddle (about a teaspoon worth)
while the other just showed little bubbles. I've never seen this before.

During the install, while the engine was apart,  I had removed the head
bolts for the first time in the engine's 44 year life. There was a lot of
crud built up on the bolts that I scraped off. The nuts are torqued down to
105 lbs.

Anybody seen this before? Will it stop?

Johnnie

'67 TR4A