Re: [TR] 5 speed conversions

To: Bob Danielson <75tr6@tr6.danielsonfamily.org>
Subject: Re: [TR] 5 speed conversions
From: Dan Cronin <adcronin@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 12:48:00 -0500
Folks
As an add on to Bob's rundown, I had my M58 totally rebuilt (main shaft and
several of the gears and all synchros/bearings) by Mann Transmission in
Florida (NFI) for just a tad over $600.  Shipping was around $60
.  I considered it prudent as I was purchasing a "used" transmission from a
"junk yard" and had no idea if the folks advertising it really knew much about
it.  Mann's fee is a flat rate regardless of what they find wrong (or not).
Dan
On Dec 15, 2011, at 8:17 AM, Bob Danielson wrote:

> For a TR6, there's three 5 speed conversion kits out there: HVDA, Eaglegate
and Dupont. The first two use the Toyota W58 tranny while Dupont uses the T5
tranny.  Quantum Mechanics and Moss used to offer conversions based on a Ford
transmission but I don't know if they still do.
> I went with Herman's kit (HVDA) because......
> ....The only downside to the W58 is the cost of a rebuild. The only thing
you can do to a W58 without a complete teardown is to replace the front and
rear seals. If it needs bearings or synchros, it's a teardown.

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums