Re: [TR] One last Radiator question

To: <terryrs@comcast.net>, "list Triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] One last Radiator question
From: "THOMAS FANSHER" <tfansher@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2010 15:10:57 -0400
Terry, I don't think that a new radiator by itself will allow a TR3 to not
overheat in many situations (but maybe not New Hampshire). In Florida I've
had to add electric pushers to both TR3's and the TR4 (1962) with the
mechanical fan with four blades. There are six bladed fans around which have
a much better pitch and 2/3's more blades ;^) than the original ones.  When
I redid "my" TR3 four years ago I opted to do away with the mechanical fan
and added a puller, it works great. On the "new" TR3 that I just finished
all was good with everything stock until the weather got over ninety and
there was stop and go traffic. The stock fan will never move enough air
through any radiator to provide adequate cooling in "adverse conditions".
Two weeks ago I added a pusher fan with relay and a manual switch - an old
once speed wiper switch - mounted just over my right knee to the dash
support. I turn it on when the temp has reached 185 and the needle just
stays there. I do have the shroud in place and the fan (11 inch I think)
takes up all the exposed area of the radiator. I think it works well. If it
hadn't, I'd be pulling the cowling and probably trying a six blade fan. A
buddy, also in Central Florida,  replaced his four blade with the yellow TR6
fan a few years ago and is REALLY happy with that result. He had 3/16 "
removed from the front and rear of the extension, thereby gaining 3/8" of
room and mounted the fan front facing as on the TR6.  He says it sucks up
leaves when they are on the driveway...and I have a yellow fan --just in
case. But so far in 96+ degree muggy, high humidity Florida, I'm fine with
what I've done.  Again, I think that in certain parts of the world the stock
would be adequate.  I've also noticed that the horizontal plate of the
cowling blocks off the portion of the radiator below the crank hole -
another poor design and wasted space, no matter what the material of the
radiator is made from...just my two cents worth.....(a lot of words for two
cents ;^)  )
Tom
60 TR3A
61 TR3A