Re: [TR] Uprated water pump question

Subject: Re: [TR] Uprated water pump question
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 14:08:38 -0700
> I just
> removed my fan and extension and put the Ken Glanders harmonic balancer
> on
> and installed an electric puller fan. Also did the alternator upgrade.

FWIW, I'm currently experimenting with a 12" puller fan, no mechanical fan,
and a stock generator.  Haven't got the fan thermostat installed yet, so for
the moment I just have a switch on the dash.

Only a few days experience as yet (been driving it to work all week), but it
seems to be working very well so far.  Even in heavy traffic, the fan only
needs to run for a minute or two at a time, so the generator has time to
catch up when it's not running.  And at 1500 rpm it will keep up with both
the fan and the halogen headlights.

I still plan to convert to an alternator eventually (got a cute little Denso
unit sitting on the shelf), but for now, the stock genny seems to be working
better than I thought it would.

The radiator is an older recore with no crank hole (from my wrecked TR3A).
Don't recall how many rows it has, but it was an off-the-shelf Modine core
that fit perfectly.  I can probably get the details from my radiator shop if
anyone wants to know.

It also has a modern fill neck (which I've fitted with a 10 psi "lever vent"
cap) and reinforcement around the extension (where they always seem to crack
for me).

-- Randall

Triumphs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html