Re: [TR] Electrical diagnosis: Update

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Electrical diagnosis: Update
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 11:21:54 EDT
In a message dated 6/14/2010 9:15:13 AM Central Daylight Time,
KingsCreekTrees@aol.com writes:
> Both batteries show 12V, which suggests to me that the TR's battery is
> not faulty. This leads me to start thinking that wherever the bad connection
> is, corrected itself a couple of times, coincidentally when I fitted the
> Volvo battery.

Bad assumption.  The battery is actually a collection of six cells.  It
sounds like one cell or the interconnection has gone bad.  This is not all that
uncommon.  A friend of mine in the car business once told me that more
batteries fail in hot weather than in cold - and they fail more suddenly.

So let me recap: with the Volvo battery the car cranks fine but with the
Triumph battery it doesn't?  Sounds like a bad battery to me.  Take it
somewhere and have ti tested under load and I'll bet it fails.

An open circuit test doesn't tell all the story.

Cheers

Dave

Triumphs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html