Re: [TR] Oil Seals

To: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [TR] Oil Seals
From: Frank Fisher <yellowtr3@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 19:02:11 -0700 (PDT)
im sure im going to regret saying this, because as soon as i do Murphy's law
will intervene.
i bought the new scroll kit from the roadster factory
i had
the crank ground to the instruction size and had it polished.
drilled the
extra drain holes as instructed.
where i differed from the instructions was as
follows

i made the joint in the seal to the top of the motor

i made sure
every thing was spotlessly clean of oil (modern silicone rtv? sealants are
extremely intolerable of oils)

i then wiped with a barley oily finger the
part of the crank that was to be at the joint in the seal. not even wet.

laid a bead of silicone in the seal housing where the joint would be.

caulked the ends of the seal with silicone. liberally.

i wrapped the spring
so the spring joint was at the bottom of the motor

i carefully drooped the
crank and seal in place, being careful not to rotate the crank

bolted it down
tight left it alone for about 5 days to let the silicone cure.

so far i have
put 2000 miles on my new motor and i don't have a drop of oil anywhere.
chalk
me up as one for the modern seal and lets see how long it lasts

Frank